Chapter 10 | Relax

"Ricky!" I heard Chris shouting my name down the hall.

It was actually what woke me up. My back instantly shook with pain. That would probably be because I fell asleep on the floor last night. The floor of my office, more specifically. That whole catastrophe with the Wendigo wore me out. Devin had also worked a full shift before he had to deal with that, so he was ten times as tired.

He had fallen asleep on my chest. Aw, he was precious. Even in his sleep, he was gorgeous. Was that creepy to say? It felt a little creepy to think actually. The truth is the truth though. I gently ran my hand down his arm to wake him up. He groaned and nuzzled his face into my chest. I know he didn't want to get up but I didn't exactly want our boss to find us like this.

"Sweetie, wake up." I whispered.

It must've finally registered with him that he fell asleep with me here at the museum. He jumped up and searched around frantically for his phone. "Fuck." He uttered to himself, "Where's my phone?"

I got off the floor, stretching myself out. Then I took it off my desk and handed it down to him. He smiled and told me thanks. I left him to gather himself together while I go find Chris. Just as I opened the door, he was on his way down the hall. He didn't look too happy with me. I wasn't interested in the embarrassment of him yelling at me in front of the guy I liked. So, I slipped out of the office and closed the door.

Devin probably wanted the privacy to clean himself up anyways. Plus, I'm sure he needed to call home if he was so frantic to find his phone. Chris was obviously ready to rip my head off. We were still pretty close to the office.

I stopped him by raising my hands in defense and quietly saying, "I know you're about to kill me but can you do it somewhere Devin isn't going to hear? He's in the office."

He was fuming. Fuck knows how the Hell Angelo puts up with his temper. What am I saying? I know exactly how. He doesn't. No matter Angelo does, Chris won't ever get mad at him. That is the one person he loves unconditionally. Me, though? I'm not so lucky. He grabbed me by my upper arm and dragged me down the hall.

Chris turned to me with steam ready to pour out of his ears. "What the fuck is that mess downstairs?" He sneered to me, trying to stay quiet.

I sighed as I raked a hand through my hair. "Joker let the Wendigo go and it crawled through the vents. I know I'm supposed to go to Hellboy or Predator if shit gets fucked up, but the problem is the Wendigo sees heat signatures. I needed someone that would sneak up on it and The Jackal was our best option. Loki helped detain it. We were trying our best."

"I understand that, but let me let you in on a little secret. Those cameras," He pointed up to the one in the corner of the hall, "They're wireless and I feed their signal through a private server. Meaning, I have access to them from my phone. I saw exactly what happened last night. You were too fucking busy trying to swoon a guy to focus on doing your job. If you had gone to that exhibit first thing, this would've never happened."

"I'm trying my best here, okay? I'm not Angelo! I don't have the charm or the patience or the... the fearlessness to deal with these creatures. Not like he does, okay? I know he's this fucking perfect human being but you can't keep holding everyone to his standard!" I responded.

He rolled his eyes, "Oh, give me a fucking break. If I didn't know any better, it sounds like your jealous or some shit."

"Maybe I am!" I snapped, "I wish I could be as good as a person as he is. I wish I had a boyfriend that loved me as much as he does. I wish I had a fucking roof over my head I could actually call mine and I wish I wasn't so fucking far in debt I couldn't see straight. But I don't have that! After I leave here, I get to go home to an empty apartment and pray that there isn't an eviction notice on the door."

"I'm sorry, but that's not my problem. You may be my best friend, but I think you forgot, I'm also your boss. If you do your job properly, you won't be in debt for long. I'm not giving you much leniency though. One more fuck up like this and I will have to fire you. That's just the way it is. I'm sorry, Ricky."

Without another word, Chris walked off. I knew he was right but I was still pissed he'd treat me that way. Some fucking best friend you are. Every word of what I said was true. I'm so sick of being in debt. It is a sinking feeling that you can only blame yourself for. It's fucking awful. How am I even supposed to take Devin out on a date if I can't afford to feed myself?

He's so fucking gorgeous. It seems like he has his shit together too. Why the Hell would he want a mess like me? I count myself lucky that he let me woo him last night. It was probably just entertainment to him and will mean nothing to him now. As Chris was walking away, Devin turned the corner. I really fucking hope he didn't hear any of that.

My back fell against the wall. I looked at him tiredly and he timidly smiled.

"I have to get home. I really enjoyed our time together last night." He said.

I smiled bashfully, "So did I. Go home and get yourself some real rest."

"You too, Honey." Devin leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek, "Text me when you wake up?"

"Will do, Beautiful." I said as I slipped my hand in his. Raising his hand up to my lips, I placed a soft kiss along his fingers.

Devin blushed and glanced away. He was so precious. We hugged goodbye, then he slowly made his way back to the entrance. Something about the way he called me "honey" just plucked at my heart strings. Every time he talked, it was like an angel singing. I fear to admit it, buuut... I'm crushing pretty hard. How could you not crush on a creature that gorgeous and enchanting?

| | |

The second I pulled up to my apartment building, I instantly felt a sick feeling in my stomach. There was a car in the parking garage that looked too fucking familiar. Please tell me I'm being paranoid. Unfortunately, I wasn't. I knew by the little stuffed animal sitting in the window that it was my ex's car. If I'm lucky, she's just here to see someone else in the building. It is a big building, after all.

I'm not that lucky though. Oh, fuck no, I'm not that lucky. When I got off the elevator, she was waiting for me in front of my apartment. The look of pretentiousness was permanently on her face. I wanted to bitch slap it off of her.

"What are you doing here?" I groaned as I started to get my key out.

"Why didn't you answer your phone this morning?" Jessica snapped at me. Her arms were crossed defensively across her chest and her stance was pretty bitchy.

"I was at work." I replied. My tone was one of being over tired and just done with bullshit.

She attempted to grab my face, but I flinched back. Jessica gawked, "You weren't at fucking work! You were with some slut! Who's lipstick is on your cheek, huh?"

"She's not a slut. She's a co-worker, hence me saying I was at work. We're very passively seeing each other, but I don't even know why the fuck I'm explaining myself to you. I just got done with a shift, so I would really like to just sleep. Can you please leave?" I asked as I opened up my apartment.

"You aren't even worried why I was trying to get ahold of you today? My aunt died!" She whined.

I glared at her sleepily with my hand on my door. "My condolences." Then I slammed the door shut and locked it.

She can bitch and moan all she wants. I don't want to fucking hear it. I'm tired and I just want my bed. I've moved on and she has to deal with it. I should've never even told her I was seeing someone at work. She'll fucking stalk me to figure out who it is. Then she'll stalk Devin and try to scare him out of a relationship with me. Luckily, she never knew I was bi. She won't expect him for a long time. Whenever Chris and I are on better grounds, I'll talk to him about taking security measures against that cunt.