Chapter 7

Around 2 PM, Emma was in the kitchen cooking. On the speakers, she was listening to some old music that made her sing as she slightly moved her body.

"September, by Earth, Wind and Fire," a familiar voice said as he opened the door to the kitchen. "I love that song."

Emma smiled as she turned her gaze to Killian, who was looking absolutely dashing with the light blue shirt and jeans he was wearing.

Emma blinked a couple of times before managing to speak. "Yeah, it's... Quite lovely."

Both of them stood frozen for some seconds, watching one another until Killian spoke again.

"Uh... I think you have something overcooking right there."

Emma looked at the oven and noticed the bodyguard was right.

"Fuck!" she exclaimed putting the pot away from the fire and turning off the oven.

"Need a hand there, Swan?" Killian said without containing himself from laughing.

"It's alright, I can handle it," she answered chuckling and feeling embarrassed.

She couldn't understand why she was feeling that way (again), so she just ignored it.

Right after that, Emma and Killian enjoyed an exquisite feast which included a slightly overcooked pasta with mushrooms and mashed potatoes. As they ate, they discussed some things about Killian's way of working and the details of the protocol, which Emma had to put careful attention to.

"If you're still hungry I can prepare some more," Emma told Killian after they finished.

"Thanks, I'm alright. Changing a little bit the subject... I'm sorry for not telling you I was going to do exercise in the morning. I kinda took it for granted."

"Don't apologize. You can keep doing it, there's no problem."

"Thanks. It's part of my routine, you know? I have to be in good shape in case of an emergency."

"I assume you're a good runner then." Emma smiled.

"Not to gloat but yes, I am," he replied grinning.

"That's good to know. After what Captain Humbert told me yesterday I've been more worried."

"Wait. What did he tell you?" Killian asked concerned.

"He said that the man who sneaked inside the house was no thief. He was actually coming with the purpose of killing me. The Police found a mysterious envelope with money in his apartment, which means he was paid to do the work."

Killian's eyes widened, taken aback by Emma's words. "Have they found the responsible yet?"

"I'm afraid not. They have no clue."

"Okay, I don't really think the person tries to hurt you again, it would be too obvious. However, we need to be careful. They can be watching you."

Emma lowered her head, retaining the teardrops that wanted to come out. "Just when I thought my life could go back to normal..."

"Hey, don't worry love," Killian told her, reaching out her hand unconsciously. "The Police will do their job and find the guilty. Meanwhile, I'll watch your back and you're going to be okay. As long as I'm with you I won't let anyone hurt you, alright?" he said confidently, looking directly at her eyes and meaning every single word.

Emma felt safe and more relaxed. Killian's comment had made her regain the confidence she needed and gave her hope that things would get better.

The bodyguard removed his hand from Emma's, reminding himself that the relationship he had with her had to be strictly professional.

"Thank you," she said after a while, trying to fill the silence that had suddenly appeared.

"It's my job," he replied taking the plates and the glasses to the sink.

~•••~

Later that day, Emma went out with her two best friends. They wanted to make Emma feel more at ease and help her feel better. They chose to have a coffee at a fancy restaurant downtown, which was their usual meeting spot.

"Damn, Emma. Your bodyguard is definitely hot!" Ruby Lucas exclaimed with her eyes fixed on Killian, who was standing some feet away from them and unable to listen to their conversation. "Are you sure he's not a model or something like that?"

Emma and Belle chuckled before the blondie answered her. "Of course not! He's just a bodyguard. And stop looking at him! I don't want you to scare him with your creepy eyes," she teased her.

"Oh don't be jealous, Emma. You have the luxury of staring at him all you want. He's all yours," she said taking a sip of her drink.

"In the first place, he's not mine. I mean, he is but... not in that way. And second, I don't stare at him." She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Why? Because you're married? Come on, that doesn't mean you can't say a guy is handsome! You're a married girl, not a nun. What do you think, Belle?" she asked the brunette.

"Well, I usually disagree with you but this time seems to be the exception."

"Hey!" Emma exclaimed. "I thought you were on my side!"

Her friend laughed. "Not this time"

Emma rolled her eyes.

"Come on Emma," Belle said. "You can't deny that your bodyguard is very attractive"

I know he is, there's no doubt about that, but admitting it would get me into trouble for sure, Emma thought as she gazed at him discreetly.

"Two against one. We won!" Ruby said as if she had read Emma's thoughts. "You invite us a drink the next time we go out."

Emma frowned. "W-what? How did you-"

"I'm quite clever, dear," Ruby cut her off placing her hands on her hips.

"Okay, okay. You'll have your drink."

The blondie chuckled as she moved her gaze once more towards Killian, who in that precise moment looked at her too. She smiled to him before he gave her a charming grin.

Emma tried to ignore the blush in her cheeks before returning her eyes to the empty dish where once was a delicious brownie.

=========

Hey guys! I hope you're liking this story so far! Thanks so much for all your comments & votes! ❤️
More Captain Swan stuff to come!