Chapter 22

Emma opened her eyes slowly at the same time she yawned. She looked around and noticed that the room was empty. With a quick glance at the clock, she realized it was barely 9:06 PM. She had no idea how long she had drifted off, however, she didn't feel like sleeping anymore. Her body ached for being in a lying position for quite some time that she felt the urge of shifting into a sitting position.

As soon as her back was leaning against the headboard a sudden thought popped into her mind.

She was alive.

A pair of kidnappers were going to take her away and kill her God knows how. It was all so horrible that at that moment she swore she wasn't going to live to tell the story. If it weren't for Killian she wouldn't be sitting in that comfy bed in the a warm bedroom of a luxurious residency.

It was a lot to take in, but she was very thankful for still breathing.

She felt glad, but also a bit scared. It was true that the Police had two suspects for interrogation, but she still thought that things weren't going to end that easily.

They still needed to find the real villain, or villains. She wasn't very sure yet.

Her mind was loaded with more of those thoughts when the door was slightly opened and someone stuck his head in cautiously.

"Come in" Emma said smiling "I don't bite"

Killian chuckled before stepping inside the bedroom. He closed the door behind him and left the tray he was carrying on the night table.

"I know" he replied cutely "I just thought you were still asleep and didn't want to wake you up"

He sat on the edge of the bed as his eyes met hers. For a moment, both of them got lost in each other's gaze.

"Josephine... prepared you some oatmeal cookies. She said they are your favorites" Killian told her, moving his eyes to the tray and scratching the back of his ear.

"They are. That was nice of her" Emma smiled.

"Aye. She was setting up everything for your parents in the guest room so I decided to help her and bring you the cookies"

Emma smiled gratefully "Thank you... For bringing the cookies and specially for calling my parents. It was a nice gesture of yours"

"It was nothing. I knew you needed your family in this difficult situation. When we were at the school while the paramedics checked you... You really seemed to be needing their company"

"Was it that obvious?"

"For me it was" he chuckled.

"Yeah, I guess that even though I'm already an adult I still need their love and protection"

Killian nodded with a beam. What followed was a small silence that filled the elegant room. Emma wanted to talk about what happened, so she was thinking carefully about what to say to him.

"I uhm... I wanted to thank you, Killian. For saving my life earlier today"

"You know there's nothing to thank me for, Swan. It's my job"

Emma sighed nostalgically as she averted her eyes from him "It was your job, you mean. You're leaving tomorrow"

Without hesitating, Killian placed his hand on her chin and gently made her face him.

"What if I told you that I'm staying? That I'm not going back to Colorado?"

Emma froze momentarily before grinning, her heart beating fast after listening to his words "I would be very, very happy! You have no idea how much!"

Both of them shared a warm and comfortable hug, forgetting about the rest of the troubles for a moment. After pulling away from the embrace, Emma spoke, their faces inches apart.

"What made you change your mind?"

"Let's say that your parents made me realize that I don't want to be away from you. I wouldn't be okay knowing that someone else is taking care of you because... I feel like I need to be the one watching over you"

"Wait, my parents?"

Killian chuckled "Aye, we had a small talk some hours ago. The point is... When those kidnappers took you I... I was scared of losing you. I felt a sudden fear inside me that I had never experienced before. I just wanted to see you were alright and as far away from danger as possible. I told myself to concentrate and don't panic, because that was the only way I could get you back" He made a pause before going on, his eyes never leaving Emma's "My feelings for you were the key to saving you, Swan"

"So that stupid rule from the agency..." Emma said, Killian's previous comment giving her a sensation of happiness.

"It's only that. A stupid rule that I proved wrong. What I feel for you didn't make protecting you a difficult task. On the contrary, it made me stronger and more determined on saving you"

Emma placed her hand on his cheek before leaning her forehead against his. Killian's words were the best thing she had heard in the whole day.

"Are you really staying?" She asked, just wanting him to reaffirm his statement.

"Aye. I promise I won't leave you"

"Good" she whispered with her eyes closed, a small tear falling from her right eye.

Killian leant forward and connected his lips with hers in a tender, soft and beautiful kiss. Emma's hands moved around his neck as she deepened the kiss, not getting enough of his touch.

After a matter of seconds, both broke apart and smiled.

They knew their relationship was still strange, there were a lot of things that remained confusing, but at least there was something that both of them were sure of:

They were not going to leave one another. Not ever.