Chapter 28: Too Soon?

"What is it, Aqueela?" Susie asks in impatience, excitement laced behind her big blue eyes. "We've been walking for hours, just tell me already," she urges, waiting in anticipation and suspense to find out why I dragged her out of her house so early in the morning.

We've only been walking for two minutes. This girl truly is after my own heart. She's a keeper.

We eventually reach the food court. I move out of the way so that she can see who is waiting behind the transparent glass. He catches her eye and sends her a twirly wave from inside, a big grin on his face as he winks at her. 

Susie pauses in her steps as if she cannot fathom it, her eyes widening as a soft gasp leaves her lips. I hold back a smile at the sight.

"No way," she begins to shake her head as she places a hand over her heart, "Laiken?" she asks soundlessly in a breathy whisper of shock as her blue eyes brim over with tears. It's been three years since she's seen her brother.

He grins when he sees that it's gonna take some time before we make it inside. Instead, he jogs out of the ice cream store to meet us halfway. He lets out a teasing warrior shout as he bounds toward us with arms wide open, almost as if about to tackle one of us. He doesn't hesitate to lift Susie up into his arms for a giant bear hug. 

"Luce, I've missed you, my favorite loser of all time!" Laiken teases whilst I 'aww' softly at the reconnection being made between brother and sister.

She laughs and wraps her arms around him as if never wanting to let go, "I can't believe you're really here," she breathes out and blinks up at him, breaking forth from her stupor, as she processes it all.

"Only for you, Lucy," he assures her truthfully and then places her back down to the floor to inspect her from head to toe. "You've grown up so much," he points out with a smile that I've never seen, one that he obviously only keeps reserved for his little sister. "You're no longer my little chubby cookie monster. You're all beautiful and mature now, clearly following in your brother's genes."

"I try," Susie jokes before rethinking it, "actually, I don't." She takes in his appearance before making another playful remark, "I see that you're still as hideous as ever," she concludes mischievously.

"You wound me," Laiken chuckles, feigning hurt. "I take back the 'mature part'." He turns back to wink at me as if telling me to play along, "Besides, Aqueela doesn't agree with you, right Law? You think I'm hella hot, tell her Law," he deliberately puts me on 'the spot'.

I shrug, taking Luce's side, "Well..." I drawl out slowly, pretending to be hesitant. It's just to see him get worked up about it. It's quite the sight to see, definitely worth it. 

Laiken's jaw drops as he playfully shoves me away, "Mean, Law, mean. We've talked about this. You're supposed to be on my side. We pick on Mason together too, remember? Don't tell me you've forgotten how things work 'round here. We're the force of nature working against him. Nothing has changed. You and me, we're a team."

"It's just...Mason is so much nicer than you," I wink back at him, pulling his leg because I know he handles jokes in ease.

"You would say that," Laiken flashes me a knowing grin as he raises his eyebrows suggestively as if to imply something.

Before I can retaliate, Susie acts on my behalf, "That's rich coming from the guy who only had eyes for Aqueela in senior year."

"Oh?" I grin in amusement and turn back to see Laiken pulling a face at Lucy, swiping his hand across his neck as if telling her to quit it. He stops when he sees me watching and shoots me an innocent smile, not even bashful in the slightest. "This is news," I milk it, interested to see how he'll manage under pressure. I spin back to face Susie in encouragement, "Tell me more."