Chapter 3: Same Old, Same Old

"It's about damn time our granddaughter returns home," Grams shakes her head at me in disappointment. 

My grandparents, including Uncle Jefferey, happen to be the only people I've kept in contact with. I kind of had to, they are family after all. 

"Your gramps was ready to turn into a hitman and track you down himself," Grams informs me, her feisty attitude still in place. 

The older she gets, the scarier she gets.

"I was?" Gramps questions, clueless. 

The older he gets, the more puzzled he becomes. 

It's a sad life they lead.

Grams shoots him a warning look, "Yes, Howard. You were."

If he doesn't go with her on this, he'll obviously pay for it later. After that, I'll end up getting a call from the neighbors when they hear Gramp's cries of agony again. They're worried my grams is capable of murder. I can't jump to her defense on that one.

Gramps quickly fixes his slip up, mulling it over in his head, before correcting himself, "I was," he confirms. "I was about to go all gangster on your ass!" he lies, going overboard as always. 

He then proceeds by copying Gram's berated stare, the both of them turning their ruthless glares onto me. Gramps will follow Gram's lead on just about everything. She owns him and he knows it.

I place my hands up in a surrendering motion as I cower back, "Okay," I exclaim, exasperated, "I get it. You're both mad at me. Message received."

I can't blame them for being angry. I kept in touch via phone calls and emails, but this is the first time in five years that I'm actually seeing them in person again. 

"Can we stop glaring now?" Gramps whispers all too loudly to Grams. "My face is starting to hurt. I'm going to get wrinkles," he whines in spite of his face already being covered in wrinkles, signifying just how old he and Grams both really are. 

Gramps has always been in denial about his age. He's convinced he's still as young as he was forty years ago. He still thinks that any woman would die to have him. He even tries to pick up girls when Grams challenges him on his looks. Of course, his attempts always fail and Grams ends up mocking him and laughing in his face. Literally, she laughs directly in his face.

"You better shut that mouth of yours, Howard, or I will tackle you down and inject Botox in your face to make it stay that way for certain," Grams threatens him, venomous as ever. She puts serpents to shame. 

I see that nothing has really changed between them. Their love for each other is as still as strong as it has ever been - in other words, poor. 

"You're such a little girl, Howard. Maybe I'll force you into getting breast implants too!" Grams hisses at him before clouting him over his head for no apparent reason.

It's always Armageddon with these two cretins. Whenever I'm in their presence, it feels like an atomic bomb has exploded. They're both mental. 

It's really a miracle that my grandparents have survived thus far. Every time I see them, it's like chilling with the walking dead. I'm always surprised to see that they've made another day. I'll never get over my initial shock of how incredibly old they are. They're like machines - indestructible. They'll probably outlive me, it's a notion of mine.