Chapter 32: Kick Back

I grin in sarcasm, "Yeah, and have Bells kill me, I don't think so," I pass him up on the offer.

"Where's your inner spirit? Where's the person who threw a huge party, knowing that I'd lose it, at my house without my permission? Where's the girl who took it upon herself, again without my permission, to redecorate my house? Where'd that girl go?" he challenges with a daring grin of his own. 

I don't know...

"Bells is scary, okay?" I defend myself in a girly whine.

He gestures around with his hand, "The wedding is practically over. A lot of people have left. Bella wouldn't mind. You should kick back like you used to," he suggests, persistent in convincing me to go with him.

"Jay, I can't just-"

He scoffs and stares down at the floor with a smirk imprinted on his lips.

I place my hands on my hips and cock my head to the side as I inspect him in query, "What is it? Out with it."

He grins to himself before looking up again to meet my gaze, a mischievous expression on his face, "I don't know," he gives an uncaring, one-shouldered shrug, "it's just that maybe you're not as tough as you think you are," he deliberately pauses in order to build up suspense and anticipation, "maybe you're not made of stone after all," he finalizes with that cocky smirk of his.

I fall speechless at his conclusion. His lopsided, boyish grin evades his lips, giving away his obvious amusement at seeing me for a lack of words. It takes me all the way back to five years ago when he was still immature every so often.

I continue to stare up at him, questioning his nerve, and manage a silent word or two, "You're very bold."

A laugh resonates from within him as he carelessly nods, "Mhm," he easily agrees and sends me a wink, "you should be too," he tells me cheekily. He stuffs his hands in his pockets and arches an eyebrow at me, "Time to let your hair down, huh Lawson?" Before I can answer, he grabs my hand and yanks me after him, "Yeah, I think so," he decides for me then and there.

I purposely dig my heels in so that he'd have to drag me after him - which, unfortunately, he is now evidently doing. I frown to myself, feigning irritancy, "Why bother asking when I apparently have no say in this at all?" I question, muttering obscenities under my breath.

"Because it's polite," he answers before teasing further, "and is that whining I hear from thee 'Aqueela the Great the First'?"

"Pssh, never."

*~*~*~**~*~*~*

I cover my mouth in astonishment as I slowly spin around in surprise, taking in the empty race tracks ahead of me, "I can't believe this place still exists after all this time," I state.

It's a good thing we changed clothes after the wedding.

"Of course it does," Jay grins slightly and hesitates, "in actual fact, I've been thinking of buying the land and starting up this place again. Say F1 racing?" 

"F1?" I question, lost.

"Formula One racing," he explains himself, "or maybe even hydro racing with the lake so close by and all."

"Hydro racing is so dangerous. When the heck did you get into that?" I ask him, concerned.

"I do it all," he smirks proudly, feigning arrogance.

"Of course you do," I say mockingly. I glance around and smile to myself, "So this is where it all melts then?" I ask teasingly as I reminisce back to the day when he first brought me here - 'The Ghost Tracks', his tracks.