Chapter 16: Awful Discoveries

Enid's POV

I woke up the next morning with one of Carl's arms around my waist and the other tangled up in my freshly cleaned hair. I slowly moved his arms and I was free to move. I tiptoed over to the window of the bedroom so the floors wouldn't creak. Destiny and Daryl were already out of their beds and Judith was still sleeping. I could hear the shower running from the bathroom so someone must be showering. I peeked through the wooden blocks covering the window and I saw Destiny getting the water from the well. I instantly felt bad because she was doing the job that we were supposed to do together. I went over to the bedside table and picked up Carl's watch to see that it was already 10:30. I quickly threw my long hair full of split ends up into a high ponytail.

I got changed into a pair of jeans and my leather jacket with my combat boots and I hurried downstairs. Maggie and Carol were cooking brunch in the kitchen and everyone else seemed to be outside. I went out the front door after greeting Maggie and Carol. Abraham and Sasha were on watch and Rick was in the back garden. I hurried over to Destiny by the well.

"I-I'm so s-sorry," I stuttered.

"It's okay. I wanted to let you sleep," she giggled.

I picked up a bucket off the ground and started to help her fill the last of the four buckets.

We carried them inside and placed them somewhere on the counter where there was space.

"Enid, could you wake up the sleepy head, Carl, for me," Rick yelled at the front door and then straight back outside.

"Yeah sure," I said even though he was gone and couldn't hear me.

I went upstairs to go wake up Carl and I saw Judith wondering around the room.

"Hey Judy," I said as she giggled.

I picked her up and squeezed her gently.

"I wanna play," she whined.

"I'll watch you play outside if you do me a favor," I whispered and she grinned.

"What?" she asked excitedly.

"Help me wake up your sleepy brother," I laughed.

"Of course," she giggled as I placed her on top of Carl.

She messed with his hair and I sat next to Carl as he slowly awakened.

"Ugh," he groaned.

"It's garden time!" I yelled with excitement.

"Hey Judy, go tell dad I'll be right there. Then stay in his sight until Enid comes to play with you," Carl demanded tiredly.

"Okay," she skipped away.

I looked over into Carl's eyes and smiled.

"Let's get you dressed sleepy head," I laughed and got him off the bed.

I went over to his dresser drawer and picked him out jeans and a tee shirt. I turned around and saw him standing there in his boxers. I shoved his clothes into his chest and he grabbed them and quickly slid on his pants before he pulled me into him and placed a kiss on the top of my head. I took his shirt and put it over his head for him and then I went to fetch his hat. I placed the sheriff hat on his head too.