Chapter 23: Beautiful Nights

Carl's POV

The whole group heard Enid scream for help. I yelled back at her that I'm coming. I ran as fast as I could to where I heard the screams with the group following. When I reached Enid, I saw a walker reaching at her head. She was laying there not saying anything. Her mouth would open, but I couldn't hear any words. I was frozen in shock, but quickly got out of it to kill the walker. Enid still laid there. She was looking at the ceiling. Her face was in shock, causing me to look up too. It was too late for my thoughts to process everything. She was knocked in the head with a glass jar that fell off the shelf. I screamed and cried as her eyes fluttered shut and I couldn't tell if she was breathing. I felt Michonne hug me from behind. She was trying to calm me as I freaked out. I saw out of the corner of my eye, Destiny running up to Enid in tears.

"She's breathing!" Destiny exclaimed after checking Enid's pulse.

"She must be passed out. Everything will most likely be okay," my dad stated.

"Let's finish getting everything. Carl, bring Enid to the van," my dad ordered and I nodded quickly. I grabbed her book bag and swung it over my shoulder and then I swooped her in my arms and carried her bridal style. I walked quickly out of the shop and to the van. All eyes went on Enid and I.

"What happened!" Maggie yelled worriedly.

"Set her on the ground. I'll check her out," Carol said.

"Carl, what happened!" Maggie yelled once again. I was in shock and wanted everything to be okay I was zoning everything out.

"A walker tried getting her...something hit her in the head...she passed out. It's my fault. I let her walk around alone," I said weakly.

"Hey, it's not your fault," Rosita said, patting me on the shoulder.

"Yeah. Don't blame yourself," Sasha added in.

"Good news. I think she'll be okay," Carol and Maggie both said almost in unison. They were the ones with the best medical history, so I trust them with Enid. I sighed heavily and began to put her in the van.

I sat down on the van floor and placed her head on my lap. I threw a blanket over her and I stroked her head.

"Y-you'll be o-okay...you better be okay," I said crying.

"I am okay," I heard Enid's voice. Am I going crazy?? I thought. Then I looked down and saw her eyes open.

"Enid!" I yelled quietly. Enid began rubbing her head as it was probably in excruciating pain.

"I-I'm okay. I think I'll be o-" She was in the middle of speaking when her eyes closed again.

"No!! No Enid!" I yelled and cried even harder.

"Maggie! Carol!" I screamed as loud as I could.

Maggie and Carol came running in seconds.

"What's wrong??" Maggie asked.

"She...she just woke up...but now she's gone again. She was talking to me. She said that she's okay!" I got angry at myself.

"Calm down. She's breathing. She just woke up too soon and went back to sleep," Carol said.

"Maggie, can you watch her? I want to go help my dad," I said before she nodded and I walked out of the van.

I went into the shop and saw my group getting ready to leave.

"Carl, where's Enid? Are you okay?" Michonne asked me.

"I-I'm fine. She woke up. But now she's gone again. She's breathing though, at least for now," I explained. I think I cried all my tears because I couldn't make anymore come out no matter how sad I felt. My dad wrapped an arm around me and the whole group went out to the van. We were back on the road again for at least thirty minutes or so. Sun down is coming soon and we weren't taking a risk to drive in the dark. We're gonna have sleep in the van tonight.

Enid's POV

I slowly opened my eyes to a dark van. I sprung up into a sitting position and examined the place. I was relived to know it was the van. I looked around carefully for a flashlight. Once I found one, I turned it on and laid it on the ground so it lite up the whole van. I looked next to me and I spotted Carl. His eyes were red and swollen and his cheeks were tear stained. The light was shining in everybody's eyes as they slept. Carl moved around and rubbed his eyes and soon enough, he woke up.

"Enid?" He whispered tiredly.

"Yes baby. It's me. I'm okay now," I smiled softly as I caressed his face. Everybody ended up awaking one by one.

"Enid!" Maggie exclaimed excitedly. I saw Alex wake up as he gave me a slight smile. I smiled back, signaling I was ready to forgive him.

Everyone was now gathered around the van and we all talked. Nobody was tired now and we could talk until sunrise. It was a beautiful night with my new family. As we talked, I became emotional. It triggered all the happy times I had with my real family.

flashback

My family and I were gathered around the fire place in our new house. We had just moved to Atlanta, Georgia. Our house was very big and I had my own office! I was only in 3rd grade but I needed an office for my school work. My mommy homeschools me while my daddy works. Today was one of those rare days where we got to spend it all together.

"Mommy, daddy, what would happen if we all got separated one day. And I never saw you again," my nine year old self asked.

"Enid, why do you think we would ever get separated?" Mommy asked confused.

"You know that won't ever happen. Daddy goes away for work a lot, but I'll always be here," my daddy explained.

"I don't know. I just want to be prepared," I strugged my shoulders. I wasn't sure why I asked such a stupid question.

"Prepared for what?" Mommy and Daddy both asked.

"I don't know. If you guys die one day," I stared at the floor.

"Well, everyone dies sweetheart. But mommy and daddy won't die for a long, long time. We're not that old," Mommy laughed.

"Okay. Promise?"

"Promise."

so i inserted that flashback just to have a little look on enid's life as a little girl. and just to show how close she was with her parents and then they died because of the apocalypse. idk it's kinda a pointless flashback lol.

Instagram- twdxxnation

comment, vote, and follow!