Chapter 27: Stay Awake

Enid's POV

I was woken up my Rick early this morning at around 8:00 am. I usually get to sleep on a while so why was he waking me up?

"Enid! Enid? Wake up!" He shook me until my eyes fluttered open.

"What do you need?" I yawned.

"I need you help killing some walkers outside. They are coming by the gates!" Rick yelled right by my ear.

"Alright! I'm coming!" I jumped out of bed. I saw I was already in decent clothes so I ran out the door with Rick, not even thinking about grabbing a weapon.

"Are we going to have to leave!?" I screamed for an answer as we rushed down to the front of the neighborhood where the gates were.

"No, no. Just we need to go kill them. We're not using guns. It'll attract more. We have to go on the outside," he quickly explained as he was out of breathe, as well as me.

We opened the gates and closed them right after. Carl, Abraham, Daryl, Destiny, and Michonne were the only ones out there. Others were building something or cooking food. I reached around my waist where my holster belt usually would go.

"Shit!" I yelled as walkers began to surround me. Everyone was distracted until I yelled.

"What is it!" Michonne yelled as she killed the walkers by me.

"I- I forgot my damn weapons!" I felt as if I was going to cry. I felt ashamed, embarrassed and stupid!

"Anyone have an extra knife!" Michonne called out. Everyone shook their heads 'no' while killing walkers, except for one person.

"I got one!" Carl called out. He flipped the blade up and threw it towards me without even looking.

"Ow!" I screamed in pain. I was crying now. I didn't even realize why I was crying and screaming. I looked around the ground for the knife.

"W- where is...is it...Carl?" I felt dizzy, causing me to stutter. I glanced at my left arm and my eye widened. Blood was gushing out of it. The knife was stuck in my upper arm.

"Enid!"

"Enid!"

"Enid!"

"Enid! I'm sorry!"

Different voices yelled at me before I fell onto the ground. I was still awake. I tried very hard to make myself pass out. Then I wouldn't feel the pain for little while. But I wouldn't pass out. I looked around the outside of our neighborhood. People scrambled around and I think I saw Carl throw his hat on the ground and grasp on his hair in anger and frustration. I realized that no walkers were in sight anymore. They were all dead on the ground. I felt a muscular body scoop me off the ground. I made my eyes over to the person carrying me now. It was Carl. My almost lifeless body bounced up and down in his arms. He carelessly ran past everyone in his way and went to the house that Maggie and Carol were in.

"What happened?!" I managed to make out Maggie's voice.

"I-I stabbed her," Carl stuttered.

"Enid, stay awake!" I think I heard Destiny's voice.

"They...they care about me," I whispered out loud but nobody seemed to hear me.