Paintball Deer Hunter

"Ashlynn! Oh my gosh! What's wrong?" Bridgette asked. Every girl in the cabin jumped awake, and soon even the guys were in the room. DJ and Geoff both stood at

I was rolling on the floor, howling in pain.

"It burns! It burns!" I shrieked, trying not to cry.

"Ashlynn! Your voice! Ohmygod, I can't do this! Speak slower!"

"My back! Please, help me!" My voice grumbled.

She rubbed my shoulder soothingly. "Ok, we're gonna have to lift up your shirt a bit, okay? I need you to flip on your stomach, and I'm gonna expose your back."

I nodded, then did as I was told.

She lifted up my shirt a bit, muttering apologies as she went higher and higher with the shirt. Finally, she gasped.

"Oh..god. Ashlynn..you slept with this all night?"

"Please..help." I whimpered.

Then, Duncan went over to me and got on his knees. He entwined his fingers with mine,

"Is it that bad?" I gurgled.

He gulped. It's all red, and there's a bit of purple in one spot, but its not too bad."

"You're lying."

"Shh...don't talk. You'll hurt your voice even more."

"Okay, um..I'm gonna go get Chef. Duncan, can you pick Ashlynn up?" Bridgette asked.

He easily picked me up carefully, then walked out the door. As soon as he stepped out, the whole cabin started buzzing with the new news.

We got to Chef, and I was put on a bed at a makeshift hospital section. A sticky salve was rubbed on my back, then I was shot with painkillers.

My eyelids drooped.

"Just relax. You might not have to do the challenge tomorrow, well, today." Duncan told me. He started to walk away, but I called out to him.

"Duncan! Please, don't leave me," I rumbled.

He turned around, then stared at me. He just wore short boxers, but I didn't care. I'm in too much pain, and I can't do this alone. 

He sighed, then walked back over to the bed and squeezed in. He wrapped his arms lightly around me, as if to not put pressure on my back.

"Thank you."

"Go to sleep, babe."

"Okay. Where's the blanket?"

He placed a thin blanket on top of me, but I gave him some. He didn't have a shirt on, so he must have been cold.

I held onto his neck, then pulled his face down so he was staring directly at me.

It was times like this when I really loved him, but I couldn't get them out of my mouth. "I lo-I lo-"

But before I could say the words, his eyes fluttered shut, his grip slackened, and he was dozing off. He had fallen asleep.

I breathed a sigh of relief, then set my head on his shoulder. I closed my eyes, snuggling deeper into him. Then I too, fell asleep.

*****

I woke up with strong arms wrapped around me. I nearly jumped, until I remembered Duncan had come and sat with me on the "hospital" bed last night.

I stretched my arms, then shrieked. A burst of pain spread throughout my back, and it spread down to my hips. It wasn't as fierce as as last night. It was more of a dull throb than anything.