Who Can You Trust?

"Today's breakfast is Hawaiian-Italian fusion casserole!" Chef cried merrily, dumping a scoop of greenish slop on my plate.

I looked down at it sickly. "You mean last nights leftovers?"

He glared at me. "You being cheeky, girl? You know what happens to cheeky teenagers?"

"No."

He raised his butcher knife threateningly, and I shrunk down. "You know what? I'm good, this looks....delicious,"

He nodded, and I sat down next to DJ.

"Want my slop?" I asked

He shook his head in disgust. "No way."

I scraped the food into the garbage, then started sipping on my coffee. At least there was one susceptible food item here. 

I watched Duncan walk up to the coffee machine, then swipe a coffee mug and hide it under his shirt. I walked up to him, trying to adopt a motherly tone.

"I saw that,"

He raised an eyebrow. "I don't have any idea to what you are talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me, mister. Why'd you steal it?"

"Because it was cool looking, and I don't have one-well, didn't have one." He cackled.

He sat down again at the table, and I sat down next to him. "What if you got caught?"

"It's great to know you care about me," he said.

I stared at him in disbelief. "Of course I care about you!"

He smirked. "Really? You would barely even give me a kiss last night. Who are you falling for...-his eyes scanned the room, then landed at the Gopher table-...how about Trent?"

I pressed a hand to my heart. "I'm honestly offended. I don't like Trent. I like you."

He shrugged. "Fine."

I frowned, then brought my fist up to my chin and closed my eyes. I barely got sleep on this damn island, and I was starting to crave my comfortable bed.

He wrapped an arm around my waist, lodging his hand in the curve of my hip. "Sorry."

I sighed. "It's okay. But you know I do like you, right?" I opened my eyes, turning to face him.

He nodded, a small smile on his face. He looked embarassed, almost.

I leaned my head against his shoulder, wondering if he really knew it.

*****

"So, I see the last challenge left a bit of unresolved anger between the Gophers...and I'm seeing something a bit fishy with the Bass." Chris said. Duncan nudged me in the hip, so I smacked him in the back.

"So, this challenge today will be based on trust. Because, all good friendships begin, with a lot of trust. There will be three or more challenges that will have to be completed by two or more members of the team. Normally, we'd like to have the campers choose their partners, but to make things interesting, we chose them for you."

We walked over to a giant rock wall. I stared up at it, gulping nervously. 

"Okay, so this challenge you'll be scaling a rock wall. Gwen and Heather for the Gophers, Duncan and...D-no, Ashlynn for the Bass."

He explained how the harnesses were rigged, so If we fell, we'd be caught. "And the catch, the whole rock wall is rigged with explosives, rusty nails, and oil slicks. It's all about trust, people. And remember, never let go of the rope."