Chapter 9- Valentine's Men

{This chapter has been edited}

"You have the face of someone who is just dying to be kissed." Magnus's sultry voice pulled me from my thoughts.

I looked from the children in time to see him sitting on the arm of the over stuffed chair I was sitting in. It had taken an entire hour for him to personally introduce me to everyone. 

He also finally told me that they were all in hiding and as the High Warlock of Brooklyn it was his duty to aide them as long as they sought it.

I had nodded along, smiling and introducing myself to be polite. Afterwards I had chosen this spot in the corner not long after returning to my room in search of my staff and stele. 

Upon not finding either of them, I placed myself here and was watching the children laugh and perform small magic orbs that they used to play catch.

"I'm not dying to be kissed by anyone." I shook my head, resting my chin in the palm of my hand. "I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything. I also lost my weapon and stele."

"Try not to sound so overjoyed." He scoffed, rolling his eyes as he rested an arm around my shoulders, forcing my arm to rest on his leg. Surprisingly the position was comfortable and I found myself not pulling away. 

"Besides, you don't need a weapon when you have magic and you don't need a stele because they are just too much of a hassle to carry around." His tone was laid back and joking. As if he was trying to make me laugh, it worked to a degree.

"Magic I don't know how to use and my stele," I trailed off, standing suddenly and peering down at him. "I've had my stele ever since birth, it's as much a part of me as your jewelry is to you." A soft look entered his eyes as he sighed dramatically.

"And I suppose you're wanting to go out and search for it and possibly see your horrendous twin." He sighed, his eyes flickering from mine and to the door before focusing back on me. I offered a short nod, only earning a loud groan from him.

"I don't suppose common sense would keep you in hiding. I did mention that Valentine knows you exist and will come after you. Is a stele and a twin really worth being kidnapped or killed?" He questioned, his tone lowering as he pulled me closer so our chests were touching. 

"And let's not forget, if you die so will and I. I am too good looking and far too young to die."

"You're not that young," I began, earning a light smack to my arse. I gasped loudly and glared at him, my cheeks heating up as he glared just as darkly as I was. "That was uncalled for!" I hissed.

"And so was calling me old." He sassed, his hands moving to rest on my hips where I placed my hands on his to keep them there. 

"And before you use those beautiful sad eyes, my answer is no. I will not allow you to go out of hiding." His tone was highly annoyed and while I understood, he also had to understand my reasons as well.

"Magnus, please.  He's my brother and after last night there's no telling what he thinks happened." I pleaded, staring intently as he finally looked at me. 

"You said that I would have my freedom, that neither of us would control the other. I know who Valentine is and what he's capable of. But you also know who I am and what I'm capable of, magic or not."