Chapter 29- Breaking Promises

My eyes flickered up from the book I was reading when I saw Magnus appear; a grim look in his eyes. I frowned before closing my book and setting it on the coffee table in front of me.

"Jace attacked Alec, took him back to the Institute after healing him, I'm not sure where Jace and Clary ran off too." Magnus spoke as he sat down next to me.

"I know, Jace and Clary are getting help from Meliorn, something about looking for Clary's father or something, it was a pretty vague text. The only question I have is, so what? I'm done with all of them, all I've tried to do is help the idiots and all I get in return is a few vague texts, hostile looks and warnings to stay away." I said as I picked up my book and opened it to my place only to have the book snatched out of my hands by a very angry looking Magnus.

"You don't mean that, you forget I can feel what you're feeling. You're hurt and confused but that doesn't give you a right to say you do not care about your friends and family, you care too much." Magnus snapped as he tossed my book over his shoulder, his cat eyes focusing on my own.

"I really mean it Magnus, I don't care, I just want to read my book and pretend this night never happened." I snapped as I used my magic to bring my book back.

"Alec was hurt, your twin is off doing hell knows what, your friend is surrounded by people she doesn't trust, and Izzy is going to be possibly questioned on the disappearance of one seelie. And you are sitting there on your pretty little ass saying you don't care? The Jarolyn Wayland who cared so much she would stay up late every night waiting for her family to return. The same Jarolyn who would face her fears and sneak out to follow them just to make sure they could handle it. That Jarolyn Wayland is my Anima Alterum, that Jarolyn holds my last name, you, I don't know who you are but you better give me back my Jarolyn." Magnus snapped as he stood and stormed out of the room, slamming his bedroom door loud enough to cause me to flinch. I buried my face in my hands and let out a soft sigh.

He was right, but to an extent so was I. I had done so much for all of them and it was like I suddenly was invisible or the enemy if I wasn't doing what they needed or acting how they wanted. Hearing Alec say he was engaged and calling me a downworlder had hurt more than any physical wound I had ever been dealt. It was enough to make me ignore Lydia when she asked for my help, or to even ignore Jace when he asked if I wanted to help him and Clary. I didn't want to see any of them, I didn't want to hear them and I certainly didn't want to think about them. I was though, they were all on my mind in one way or another, I should have followed after Jace and Clary, I had promised them I would help but I had broken that promise. I promised Lydia I would be there if she needed but I had broken that promise as well; it seemed that tonight was all about breaking hearts and promises.

"I love you." Magnus's irritated voice filled my ears as I felt him flop onto the sofa next to me. I was pulled into his arms and I rested my head on his chest.

"I love you too." I muttered in defeat as Jorah took that moment to appear, a worried look in his eyes. I sat up and gave him a confused look as he ran his hand through his hair.

"It seems our dear Lydia has arrested Izzy for high treason and plans to put her on trial." He spoke as he stared at me.

"Meliorn, she's doing it because Izzy helped with freeing him." I rushed as I jumped up worry filling me.

"What are you going to do?" Magnus questioned though he already knew the answer.

"I'm going to help my best friend," I spoke in a determined tone.

"Not like that you won't, you look like a wreck." Magnus spoke as he stood and grabbed my wrist, pulling me to my room; Jorah following close behind.