Chapter 7- The Silent Brothers

{This chapter has been edited}

"This is uh, a real charming place you brought us too." Simon spoke with unease. 

He had finally parked and turned off the van, allowing us to climb out without the fear of him driving off and possibly killing us. He, Clary and I all stood in front of the open side door as Jace, Alec and Izzy checked their weapons.

"It has it's moments."I offered, smiling warmly as he fumbled while fixing his glasses. His cheeks burned brightly and he grinned in return.

"Really?" Clary questioned, disbelief in her voice as she eyed our eerie surroundings. Izzy patted the crown of my head as I pointed to various plant life.

"Those flowers have healing properties," I moved my finger to a group of bushes next. "

And those are called burning bushes. When the sun sets and the light hits them just right, the leaves appear to be on fire." I smiled brightly as I went to point out more flowers but fell silent as I realized Clary and Simon both seemed skeptical.

"Are you always so," Clary trailed off as Simon rubbed the back of his neck. "Optimistic?" They spoke in unison.

I looked between them, taking note of how close they stood next to one another. They were obviously close, a connection was between them that anyone could see. Though I was curious, what sort of connection did they have? 

Shrugging my shoulders at them and my thoughts, I didn't bother to be offended. I was use to their reactions by now, Jace and Izzy always acted much worse when I went on tangents about flowers and plants.

"Well, let's head out there." Simon spoke in mock enthusiasm. Clary nodded and started forwards but Jace moved forward, placing his arm across her chest and moving her backwards.

"What's wrong?" Clary lowered her voice, her eyes scanning around all of us as if she knew what she was doing. I smiled slightly, at least she was trying to take everything in stride and be serious.

"We'll check it out, you guys stay here." Jace instructed, nodding at me before starting forwards. Just as I went to follow, Alec pulled me back, catching me off guard.

"Jar, will stay with you. We'll call when the coast is clear" Jace spoke before winking at me and walking off. Izzy winked at Simon and I before trailing after Jace.

Heaving a sigh, I nodded as Alec brushed his thumb against the back of my hand before following after them. It was a silent way of apologizing, or at least that's what I believed. I wasn't that upset, after all I hadn't been summoned and so technically had no right to be here. 

If I could remain near the van I just might be able to go without being in an even larger amount of trouble. Only a brief moment of silence passed between myself us. Clary turned, suddenly drawing my attention from the plant life and to her. 

She looked as if she wanted to say something but remained silent. From next to her, Simon shuffled his feet and cleared his throat. His gaze flickered from Clary and to me, almost as if they were silently communicating whatever it was they wanted to ask me.

"So, uh, what's with you and Jace?" Simon questioned, Clary giving him a mixed look of gratitude and annoyance.

"What do you mean?" I inquired, frowning slightly at his question.