10: "I wanna be successful"

Three years since MCR broke on 22nd March.
Sorry it's just one of my favourite bands. *cries silently*

•••

I sit in a pancake place as Caleb orders two medium sized pancakes topped with Hershey's chocolate sauce and strawberries.

The place is pretty small compared to any other normal restaurant, walls are covered in famous quotes with matte black borders around them, Rainbow coloured striped wallpaper. To match, there is different coloured tables and stools; this could possibly be mistaken for a daycare centre from how colourful it is.

When I turn back around, Caleb is holding a white tray consisting of two plates with two Oreo milkshakes.
"here," he speaks as he sits the food onto the tables and he lounges on the low leather seats.

"Just so you know, you aren't leaving till you eat at least half a pancake."

"You know you're not my mother right?" I say, "I'll eat what I can fit inside my stomach."

I grab my bow covered purse and take twenty dollars out of the third slot and hand it over to Cal but he flicks his wrist, insisting me to keep my money.

"So, how's your dancing going?" He asks as he rolls up his pancake and cuts a piece off.

"Not good. The principal said that I have to study harder for my final SATs because I'm not getting enough marks. That means I have no time for Ballet anymore. I'm going have to postpone the dance exams that are happening next week. If my mother knew that I had left school to do what mother calls 'just a hobby', she wouldn't be very pleased."

"But it's not up to your mother. If you love dance and want to make a career out of it, go for it. You only have one chance to grab any opportunity."

"I can't." I still haven't eaten any of my food and talking about school is making me feel a little queasy.
"I'll never be a professional dancer, my technique is awful half of the time and I'm not exactly petite like most of the famous ballerinas. Nobody wants a chubby dancer. I might as well save myself from future embarrassment."

He grabs my hand from across the table as I take a small bite of pancake.
"You certainly aren't chubby or technically imperfect. You're the best dancer I have come across, don't give up."

I gratefully smile. "Are you going to eat that now because you know you're not allowed to leave unless you do." He laughs and I take a piece of chocolate covered pancakes and strawberry.

***

As I open my front door, I wipe my shoes on the welcoming mat and drop my bag by the coat rack.
"Where have you been?" Mother walks into the room. Great, her happy mood didn't last long. It never does with me.
Her brown hair is curled to perfection, berry coloured lips,  she's wearing a nude dress that reaches her knees with a pair of strapped shoes seen mostly on Kim Kardashian.

"Shopping with my friends." I state and she paces across the wooden floor, her heels clanking as her fingers twiddle with a small diamond necklace I had bought her for her thirty fifth birthday. Last year.

"Well I hope you bought what you wanted because you won't be going shopping or leaving the house apart from school for the next three months." She shouts.

"What?" My jaw is open wide and surely not far from the floor. "Is this about my grades?"

She nods and my skin burns with anger. It was Candice, that little traitor.
"How can you be so stupid to let a petty hobby get in the way of your education! I thought you wanted to succeed in life?"