Chapter 23: Close Calls

[Maka]

"...He's not as agile as I was expecting..."

Soul muttered as I used him to block a swing from the katana user in front of me, staring with dark red eyes. I pushed him back, resulting with him stumbling a step backwards, and letting me take a few steps away from him.

"He's tired. It's obvious." I muttered to my scythe. "...He's just driven by insanity."

"How'd you know ?"

"I can see his soul." I made a small smirk. "We just have to knock him out anyways. We don't have to hurt him-just, decrease his stamina until he faints himself."

"Sounds like a good plan."

Kuroshiro made a battle cry as he ran at us again, raising his katana up in the air. I dodged his attack and made one of my own, swinging the blade to cut him in half.

"...Maka-"

He wasn't going to die with that, right ?

Right. Because the blade stopped when it made contact to his skin. Kuroshiro grinned, and started laughing. "You can't hurt me," He whispered to my ear, since my attack made him lean a bit close.

"...I have black blood."

"Of course I know that." I moved the blade out of the way and punched him square in the face. "I'm not aiming to hurt you. You're already hurt, anyways."

Kuroshiro stumbled back, but caught himself quicker than I expected. One hand went to touch his now-broken nose, the other swung his katana at my throat.

"Maka !" Soul yelled, and I was... I was a second lucky because I managed to step back right in time.

But I also was a bit too late because he successfully made a straight line across my neck. Good thing, is, it wasn't deep enough to be a serious damage.

"...Close call..." I mumbled, panting as I stared at the once, innocent friend I knew. I held the light cut he made on my neck, not surprised when it stung at my touch. Damn, he changed so much... And it wasn't even his fault...

"A-are you okay ?" Soul's face flashed from the blade. I gave him a small smile. "Still alive. It wasn't a deep cut, don't worry."

"He almost got you-if you didn't step back you would've had your head rolling on the ground by now !" He scolded in worry, but glared at Kuroshiro anyways. "Tch... Next time, block."

"Again with that ?"

Sure, I almost died. But that doesn't mean I'd be scared. He's still my friend. I still have to save him, for his and (y/n)'s sake.

"Again with that. Always will be."

"...How can you guys still talk...?"

I focused on Kuroshiro, who had his head lowered. "...You're not taking this seriously, are you...?"

I only stared, waiting for his next move. He was stumbling, but still stood, holding his katana tightly. "You guys did something bad to me-is that why ?!"

Something bad...?

"...I don't know what you're saying." I gripped Soul tighter as he spoke, keeping my guard up. Kuroshiro finally raised his gaze, his blood red eyes having the intent to kill.

"...Ella said you... All of you... Wanted me dead because of something-you were the reason I was in a coma for 8 months !"

"We didn't do anything to you ! You left on your own after the incident with Blackstar !" Soul yelled out, making Kuroshiro look surprised. "Blackstar... That boy...?"