Where You Are

Vix swiped blush across her cheekbones. The soft pink complemented the glossy new lipstick that Zoey had given her and the darker mascara.  Zacky's little sister had also managed to convince her to apply some eyeliner along her lash line and some smoky eye shadow. She'd thought the youngest Baker was just being bossy but as she assessed herself in the mirror, she realized she looked pretty great. It had been a while since she'd gone all out with makeup.

Zoey smiled at Vix's reflection in the mirror, "See? I told you that would be a great color on you."

Vix felt that surreal feeling again. She was supposed to be decorating but Zoey had taken her back to the house she shared with Brian and had planned an all out make over. "It does look good. Now I guess I need to find something to match with it when I get back to Zacky's."

"Let's check out my closet," Zoey offered "I'm absolutely sure that I have something you can borrow."

Vix lifted her eyebrow in doubt. Zoey was a couple of inches shorter and a few pounds lighter. "You don't have to do that."

"It's no problem," Zoey waved her off. "Brian likes to shop for me and I have tons of stuff that I haven't even worn yet."

Vix took a tissue and blotted the lipstick. "Brian buys your clothes?" she asked.

"Some of them," Zoey chuckled "He's such a chick that way...and I've got to be honest. He has pretty good taste. C'mon."

Vix tossed the tissue in the small trash can and she spotted a pregnancy kit sitting on top of the trash. Her eyes widened as she was tempted to see what it read but she knew that would be a huge invasion of Zoey and Brian's privacy. Still... Wait no, she couldn't do it. She shook her head and tried to focus as she made her way out of the bathroom and followed the hallway to Zoey's bedroom. She tried to imagine having a family...a husband and kids...all the things every girl should want...things she could probably never have. She could barely be responsible for herself, let alone be responsible for a child, not with the way she moved around. No, she'd probably never have a husband or a baby and that was fine. At least she'd never make a kid go through everything she had experienced. Still, she felt a sense of loss at the thought. Oh well. One more thing she'd have to get over.

She entered the room and heard Zoey call "I'm in here."

The closet was only slightly smaller than the last room Vix slept in with her stupid ex-boyfriend. 

"What do you think of this?" Zoey held out a lovely Rose Gold sequin top.

Vix thought it was gorgeous but not really her style. "That's beautiful but how about something a little more simple."

Zoey looked at the top and then back at Vix and nodded. She returned the top to it's place in the closet. "Simple, simple, simple," she mumbled to herself as she perused the clothes.

Vix reached for an army green canvas jacket. "I like this."

Zoey looked over and twisted her lips and then chuckled. "That's Brian's."

Vix looked at it again. "Really? It's pretty cool looking."

"I'm not sure why that's hanging here. It should be in his. But seriously you can have it," Zoey smiled "he's got like two or three of them."

"Two or three of the same jacket?" Vix removed the jacket from the hanger and pulled it on. "Why?"

"Brian has this weird thing about buying multiples of things he really likes," Zoey explained. "Like that stupid hat he's been wearing everywhere. He's got like ten. I keep swiping them and losing them and then another takes it's place."

"Like a Hydra," Vix commented as she examined herself with the jacket in the full length mirror.

"That looks good on you," Zoey replied as she pulled a simple white v neck top from the rack."This would go great with that...with some skinny jeans and some killer heels. It'll be great."

Vix took the top and held it up to herself. "I like this but I'll have to settle for my converse. I didn't bring any heels with me."

Zoey waved her off again. "I'm sure I have something or one of the other girls if we don't have the same size."

Vix narrowed her eyes. "Why are you being so nice to me?" she blurted.

"Because I've been where you are," Zoey said softly.

Vix's eyebrows crashed together. "You've been where I am?"

Zoey nodded. "Yeah...and I love my brother. I want him to be happy. He's been pretty unlucky in relationships. And if he likes you...well maybe...I can help and he'll fall in love with you too. The same way you have with him."

"What?" Vix sputtered "No..I don't...I mean. I like him...a lot. But I'm not in love. There's a huge difference there. I don't fall in love. I'm not built for relationships like that. Zacky knows it too."

Zoey gave a side smirk. "Yeah, I've heard that one before."

"From who?" Vix asked.

"My husband."