Just Friends

Vix paced back and forth wearing the carpet thin in the bedroom. Holding the small cellphone to her ear, she was listening to Renee chatter on about Christmas plans in Seattle and preparing her excuses of why she wouldn't be heading that way to join her. What could she possibly say...that she didn't want to waste the chance of spending time with Zacky to head to the duck weather of the Pacific Northwest. 

"It's going to be a blast. You really should head up here," Renee pressed.

"Renee, I'm just not sure..."

"Not sure what? That you want to move here with me? Seriously Vix, it's time...time that you settle down somewhere. All this moving around can't be good for you."

"I know, I know," Vix agreed "Its  just I don't know if Seattle is the place for me. I really need to think about it. Maybe in a few weeks...."

"Ohhhh," Renee said loudly "Why didn't you just tell me straight out you'd rather be shacked up with that hot rock star for as long as you can?"

Vix nodded to herself. Why deny it? "Maybe..that could be true."

"Tsk tsk tsk...he's married," Renee reminded her.

"Separated," Vix replied. "Besides nothing is going on. We're just...hanging out."

"Uh huh, keep telling yourself that."

Before she could reply, Zacky walked in the room, his eyebrow arched in question.  He had been looking for her and was curious about what he'd overheard of the conversation.  He tossed himself on her bed and stretched out. He was wearing a Vengeance University shirt worn thin from so many washings and some dark jeans. He was barefoot and for some reason that made Vix smile.

"I've got to go," Vix mumbled into her phone.

"Hey..we're not done talking," Renee insisted.

"I'll call you later," Vix insisted as Zacky gave her a half grin.

"Do not hang up this phone Victoria...." Vix hit the end call button.

"Was that Renee?" he asked as she tossed her phone on the small desk and sat at the edge of the bed.

"Make yourself comfortable why don't you," Vix said tossing a pillow at him. "And yes it was."

"She ask you to go to Seattle again?"

"Yeah." came the one word reply.

"It's really nice up there," he replied "A lot of rain but otherwise it's pretty cool."

 "I'm glad it has the Zacky Vengeance seal of approval," she said pulling her leg underneath her.

He examined the unmade side of the bed and tugged at the covers "Why do you sleep on like 1/4 of this huge bed?"

"I don't need that much space. I'm tiny," she said quickly.

He looked at her like she was crazy. "Seriously?"

"Seriously. I don't need to assert my dominance over the bed. I just take the space I need."

"And you only need a two foot area to sleep?" the eyebrows arched again.

She shrugged. She didn't want to have to explain that being homeless didn't always give you a vast selection of sleeping options. "What are you doing in here? Don't you have some brooding music to play this morning?"

He sat up quickly "Actually I wanted to see if you wanted to take a walk."

"A walk? You mean...like outside...in the snow?"

"Well yeah...there's a small river that runs adjacent to the trail...thought you'd like to see it."

"It's cold outside," she reminded him petulantly.

"That shouldn't stop a big Texas girl like you," he challenged "thought you girls could handle anything."

She frowned "Okay now your making it personal."

"Well are you game or not?"

"Are you trying to lose me out there to get me back for smacking you with the pot?" 

"Damn you're on to me," he said snapping his fingers.

"You're not that hard to figure out," she countered.

He chuckled "So yeah?"

She grabbed her jacket and pulled her arms through it. "Let's do it."

============================
The chill from the tiny river did make it feel a lot colder than it was and Vix tried hard not to let him know that she was as uncomfortable as she was as they walked along side of it.

"This used to be one of my favorite places to visit with Jimmy in the mornings," he said. "During the summer of course.. We'd skip rocks. Matt and Brian were always best at it. Jimmy was the worst. It was one of the few things he couldn't do."

She shivered a bit "I'll bet that was probably a better time...when it was warmer, I mean.."

He chuckled softly "It feels a lot colder than it really is...but that is just because of the dampness in the air."

She nodded as they continued to walk, taking in the scenery around them. Although most of the foliage was bear, she could almost imagine the flowers and the beauty the summer would bring. Too bad she wouldn't be around to see it.

"Come in," he said speeding up his pace "I want to show you my favorite secret place."

"Are you going to teach me the super secret club house hand shake too?" she asked trying to keep up.

"Maybe...if your lucky," he called over his shoulder.
He led her to a snowy wooden bridge that crossed one of the larger parts of the stream.

"This is one of the most peaceful spots out here," he said in a low voice. His eyes were on the water and she could tell that his thoughts were on another time. "Jimmy and I would talk for hours out here."

She leaned against the rail and looked out at the icy water. "It's really pretty."

Zacky moved next to her and watched as she inhaled deeply. Her cheeks were pink and her dark hair curled as the edges of that stupid beanie she insisted on wearing. "It is lovely," he replied unsure if he was talking about her or the scenery. "In the spring, lilacs bloom on the banks and it has really an intimate romantic aura."

She looked at him directly for the first time since stepping on the bridge. "Zachary Baker, are you trying to tell me something?"

He cleared his throat embarrased but played along "Uh yeah I'm about to propose," he patted his pocket trying to turn it into a joke.

Her eyes widened and then she laughed "What kind of diamond do you got?"

"Whay kind do you want?" He wondered aloud.

"A princess cut," she replied.

"Damn I bought a brilliant cut."

"Three carats?"

"Two."

They looked at each other intently for a few minutes before she turned away. "Too small," she said jokingly.

"Damn then I guess we will have to stay just friends then," he replied.

She knew they were both kidding but she felt sad anyway.
"You bet, Zacky, just friends."