Standards

Vix was relieved when she walked out of Arrowhead Credit Union with some of her savings. She was beyond lucky that the branch was directly linked with her bank in Texas. She decided to get some necessity shopping done before she made her way back to the cabin. She needed warm clothes if she was going to stay with Zacky as planned until after the holidays. It was fucking cold and she couldn't keep depending on his hoodie to keep her warm.

Zacky had locked himself in the basement studio after a long tedious call from his wife. Vix had tried to get him to let her in, to no avail. The fact that she heard guitar riffs being played made her feel better about leaving. He was doing something productive with his sorrow. She figured he needed time to process.

Late in the afternoon,she pulled out her cellphone and quickly dialed Renee's number as she perused the last stores.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me," Vix replied.

"No shit," Renee said "We do have caller ID in Seattle."

"That and a shit ton of rain," Vix joked.

"Ha ha funny, so how are you doing?"

"I'm good. I just managed to get some money out of my savings. I feel better."

"Enough to get to Seattle?" Renee asked hopefully.

"C'mon...we've had this discussion. I couldn't take the rain."

"It's not so bad, Vix and you could move in here with me."

Vix considered it. It would be a relief to have a home...a real home where she could finally settle in. "Maybe you're right."

"I am," Renee replied excitedly "I'm completely right."

Vix chuckled.

"So how is it going with Zacky V? He divulge any juicy secrets?"

"Other than his secret love for getting up in the wee hours of the morning and scaring the crap out of me...no, he's pretty dull," Vix lied. Truth was everything about Zacky was intriguing but if she gave Renee too much, she'd never get off of the phone.

"Wow, I can't believe you actually got picked up by a member of Avenged Sevenfold. That's like hitting the lottery."

"Something good had to come out of all the bullshit that's happened to me the last couple of days."

"Bullshit you signed up for dating that asshat if I remember correctly."

She stopped on the street as she saw Zacky walking toward her with a large coat and black frame glasses. "Renee, I've gotta go."

"Go? Go where? Wait...."

"I'll call you back," she said quickly as he stopped in front of her frowning. His glasses surprised her although she didn't know why. She hadn't known that he wore them but there were probably hundred of things that she didn't know about him. "Did you know frowning is the sure way to ensure wrinkles in the near future?"

"I'm not frowning. I'm thinking," he took in her with her slouch beanie and big jacket. "Nice hat," he said with his hands in his pockets..

She pulled her purse back up her arm "Nice glasses. Who's manning the library desk while you're on break?"

He chuckled humorlessly "You love to take shots at me, don't you? You could be nicer. I did rescue from becoming roadkill on the side of the Corona highway."

She twisted her lips as if thinking about it. "That is true. But not being able to take shots at you...hmmm...I'm just not sure I'm ready for that kind of commitment."