Chapter 5

Frostpaw sat facing Brownpelt with Briarpaw at her side. They had gone into their meeting place to see what Briarpaw had to say. And then Frostpaw was to deliver the other news.
"So, what's going on?" Brownpelt asked. His tail was flicking from side to side. "I want to get back to camp as soon as possible."
Briarpaw tilted his head. "What for?"
Brownpelt turned his head so Briarpaw couldn't see his reaction. His eyes were glistening. "Nothing." he snapped. Briarpaw flicked his ears. He didn't seem to be fazed by Brownpelt's outburst. Frostpaw knew he really wasn't as angry as he wanted to seem. As much as he disliked Briarpaw, there was deep sadness that he hid well. But Frostpaw knew better. He was mourning Wolfpaw, scared for her disappearance. The poor cat, he had it bad. He really loved her. But she didn't know if Wolfpaw loved him like that.
"Anyway, I need to tell you guys something important." Briarpaw began again. Frostpaw looked up at him. He closed his eyes. "And it might mess with what we have planned." He reopened his eyes and stared the two cats in the eyes, one at a time. "It's Maplekit. She wants to know what's going on. And she knows I'm here."
"She does?" Frostpaw questioned aloud.
"Yes, she's waiting on the surface." Briarpaw said simply.
"Wait, how old is she?" Brownpelt asked, narrowing his eyes.
Briarpaw dropped his head, avoiding there gazes. "I was afraid you would ask that." He took a breath then let it out. "She's five moons." He murmured. Frostpaw gasped. Brownpelt stiffened. "You know what this means, right?" Briarpaw pressed.
"Since she already knows we're meeting, then . . . Oh no." Frostpaw meowed. "She'll want to be involved."
"Oh no." Brownpelt said quietly. "What do we do?"
"There's nothing we can do." Briarpaw sighed. "She's already planning on following me down here when she's apprenticed."
"But she can't swim." Frostpaw objected. Briarpaw bit his lip. "Right? She can't swim Briarpaw?" Frostpaw ventured.
"Well, she kinda . . . picked it up once you brought her back to the surface." Briarpaw said, giving her a side glance. Frostpaw closed her eyes and breathed out through her nose. "She really can do it." Briarpaw added to himself in awe. Frostpaw's ears burned with jealousy.
"So that makes, five of us." Brownpelt calculated.
"Speaking of five," Briarpaw spoke up, changing the subject. "Where's Wolfpaw?" He asked.
Brownpelt looked away and Frostpaw sucked in a breath. "That's what we wanted to tell you. Wolfpaw's gone missing."
Silence.
"What?" Briarpaw exclaimed. "Wait, like the kittypet?"
Brownpelt threw a glare at Frostpaw. "You told him about Angelkit?"
"He has a right to know." Frostpaw defended. "We can trust him." Brownpelt rolled his eyes.
"Yeah, a cat from another Clan, we can trust him with our situations." Brownpelt said under his breath, though everyone could hear him. Frostpaw shrugged it off. Briarpaw seemed to have too.
"Anyway, do you guys know where Wolfpaw disappeared to?" Briarpaw asked. "Do you have a lead?"
Frostpaw bit her lip. "Well, some of our warriors caught her scent leading to the Twoleg den." She mumbled.
"So you do know where she is?" He pressed.
"Why do you care so much?" Brownpelt interfered, his fur fluffing up. "She's not part of your Clan! Your not related to her like Frostpaw! She's LightClan so stay away from her!" He snapped. Briarpaw stiffened and Frostpaw's jaw dropped open.
"Brownpelt!" She said once her shock wore off. "He is helping us out. You need to give him a chance." Frostpaw pressed.
Brownpelt snorted. "I have."
Frostpaw raised her chin defiantly. "He saved your life. You should be grateful to him. You owe him." She said, standing. Briarpaw watched them, turning his head as they quarreled.
"Your just as untrustworthy as he is!" Brownpelt retorted. "Your mates with, him!" He screeched, throwing a paw at Briarpaw. "Your breaking the Warrior Code, your not supposed to be mates with another Clan!" Froth was foaming at his lips. "Your a disgrace to your Clan." He added with a sneer. Frostpaw gasped, biting back tears.
"Brownpelt . . ." She whispered. "H-how, how could you?" Frostpaw closed her eyes and grit her teeth, trying so desperately to not cry. She began to pad away.

"Frostpaw, wait!" Briarpaw called for her

"I don't need your sympathy!" She snapped, not looking back. She padded on through the cavern, letting her tears come. Why would Brownpelt say that? She feared the answer.
Since Wolfpaw's not here to put him in check, he isn't afraid to confront me. It's a double whammy.
"How could you say that?" She heard Briarpaw say, defending her. "She's one of your own."
"I don't have to like her, for all I know she could be with Massacre and Sparkclaw!" Brownpelt shouted. Not even a drop of sympathy. But Frostpaw could hear in his voice he was already starting to regret his words, or was he? She didn't know anymore. Brownpelt was not a nice cat, and without Wolfpaw, who would hold him back?
Oh Wolfpaw, please come home safely with Angelkit.