Chapter 10

Wolfpaw moaned and rolled over. Where was she? The Twoleg den? She cracked open her eyes and looked around. She was laying on a flat and shiny, grey surface, her belly against it. She tried to stand but a warm paw pressed her back down.
Whistlepelt?
She swiveled her head and saw a Twoleg holding a pink paw against her back. She screeched in terror and the Twoleg jumped, lifting his hand in alarm. Wolfpaw took the chance and stood, her legs wobbling. Her hurt hind leg gave out and she collapsed, the Twoleg running a hand along Wolfpaw's back.
"You'll be alright, little kitty." He cooed into her ear. She flicked her ears as his crispy accent made its way to her eardrums. It was so weird that she could understand all animals, but Twolegs? That was beyond insane. She flattened her fluffing fur as the Twoleg massaged her shoulder blades. "Is that better?" He asked, baring his teeth in a friendly way.
"More or less." Wolfpaw muttered.
He laughed. "Good kitty." He said, absent to her reply. "I'll be right back, I need to go tell your owner how your doing." With that, he left and pressed a palm against the metal flat-tree, and disappeared. Wolfpaw yawned and stretched her legs. Then she glanced at her hind leg. It was twisted in a grimace, but other then that, I didn't feel broken like when Crackling Stone injured her two legs. Though she couldn't stretch it far, it was bound in a cloth the same color as a Twolegs skin.
What did that Twoleg do to me?
"Oh, Whitefang! The kids will be so worried!" Simon-Twoleg cried, crashing through the metal flat-tree entrance and stumbling up to her makeshift bed.
"She will be alright, she just needs to stay off her leg for a month." The male Twoleg reassured her.
He must be like the Twoleg's medicine cat. Except it's for me.
"Thanks Dr. Sanchez, I'll take her home now." Simon-Twoleg said, sighing. Wolfpaw stiffened as Simon-Twoleg picked her up, though she was not why she had froze.
Angelkit said the word 'month' at camp once. It was a Twoleg word for moon. We're gonna be stuck for another moon!
Wolfpaw let out a frustrated growl and Simon-Twoleg leaned down and pressed her lips against her back. Wolfpaw shivered, then gasped as Simon-Twoleg pushed open the metal flat-trees and walked into another room. It was full of animals, ranging from birds to lizards. They all looked on the verge of insanity, rubbing their backs against the sides of their trap-stones lined with silvermesh. Their eyelids were sagging, staring around dully. When they met eyes with Wolfpaw, they hissed and backed to the farthest corner of their trap-stones.
Deeply sadened, Wolfpaw whispered in bird tongue, "I'll help you." The bird stared at her, confused. Giving these animals a reason to hope was better then nothing. She repeated the message in dog, lizard, frog, mouse and rabbit until Simon-Twoleg reached the end of the hall and exited the weird Twoleg den.

"Wolfpaw, your okay!" Angelkit shrieked once Simon-Twoleg had walked into the den. She was being held in the youngest Twoleg kits arm, her pink paw caressing her back. Setting the small cat down, the kits stampeded Wolfpaw's way. Angelkit shook out her pelt, then disappeared from view as the Twolegs surrounded her and started firing questions at Simon-Twoleg.
"Is she alright?"
"Will her leg be permanently damaged?"
"How long does she have the cast for?"
"Can I hold her first?!"
"She looks so scared."
"I want a turn!"
Wolfpaws ears rang as she was passed from pair of paws to pair of paws, the squeaking voices never ending. Finally, Simon-Twoleg pulled Wolfpaw from the fray and wrapped her arms around her comfortingly.
"You guys, stop crowding Whitefang, she's had a long day at the vet and she needs rest. Now, someone fetch her some food and water and a bed." She ordered, the kits quickly disbanding. Simon-Twoleg set her down and patted her on the head before leaving. Angelkit rushed to her side immediately.
"Wolfpaw, are you alright?" She asked, panting from exhaustion.
"I could ask you the same question," Wolfpaw replied. "Why are you so out of breath?"
"I've been with these kids for so long, you'd wonder why I wasn't!" She exclaimed.
"Oh," Wolfpaw chuckled. "I'm fine, I'm just in this - cast - thing for two more moons." She added.
"Two moons! Now I really need you to train me." Angelkit sighed, looking away from Wolfpaw.
"Yeah I know, we were already planning it." She laughed. Angelkit rolled her eyes. Wolfpaw bit her lip to hold back her laugh.
"Okay, now what are we supposed to do?" Angelkit asked.
Wolfpaw sighed and laid her head on her paws. "We wait the moon until my leg heals."
"What? Your just giving up? What about our hole we dug? We can still escape!" Angelkit insisted.
"Simon-Twoleg's probably filled it up by now. Surely she saw it when you got her." Wolfpaw argued.
"We can dig it again." Angelkit pressed.
"You can dig it again. I can't. Even if we dig it and escape, I'll just slow us down." Wolfpaw objected, turning away from Angelkit.
"I won't let that stop us. I'm going to dig that hole as fast as I can and we're going to escape." Angelkit she said, filled with determination. Wolfpaw smiled weakly and closed her eyes. Angelkit crawled up next to her and began licking her ears. In no time at all, Wolfpaw was sound asleep.

"Wolfpaw, wake up!" Shouted an impatient voice.
Wha?
"Wolfpaw!" It shouted again. Opening her eyes, Wolfpaw saw a pale tom standing in front of her. "You need to keep going!" Sandeye yelled in her ear.
"I just hurt my leg Sandeye, I can't go on." Wolfpaw whimpered. She rolled her eyes and rested her chin onto her fore paws.
"Quick giving up so easily, Angelkit needs you now more then ever. And if you show her this side of you, then your never going to fully earn her trust. Now get up and get home, your clan needs you." He shouted into her ears.
"Why do you keep saying that? That I need to get back to my clan, and that she needs me? I'm here with her, isn't that enough?" Wolfpaw exclaimed, her fur lifting.
"She hasn't been in the clan long enough and you are her only example. If you don't show some effort, she'll shift her thoughts back to kittypetism." Wolfpaw gasped. "You cannot let that happen."
Wolpfaw sighed. "Alright, I'll try. But my leg isn't going to-"
"Enough with your leg! You will be fine. You just need to escape." Sandeye teethed, spittle flying from his lips. "Now go!"

Wolpfaw jumped awake, goosebumps forming along her skin. Angelkit started next to her and blinked in the dim light.
"Wolfpaw? What's wrong?" She whispered.
Wolfpaw turned away. "Oh, it's nothing." She sighed.
Angelkit looked defeated, but straightened nonetheless. She stood. "Well, I'm gonna start on the hole, and then we'll be outta here in no time!" She romped off but not before throwing a glance behind her, then disappeared behind the wall. Wolfpaw sighed, and stretched, parting her jaws in a long yawn.
Oh StarClan, will we ever make it back to LightClan now?