Chapter 10: But I Have Done Much Worse

Valentine's POV

It has been four days since the Summer Ball and Connor's mysterious phone call.

I contemplated whether I should tell Zander about Connor's suspicious antics. I trust Connor, but that phone call keeps me up at night. All I think to ask myself is,

Was he talking about me?

But to figure out this, I need to know what exactly happened between Connor and Zander. They're both hiding it from me and I think it's ridiculous.

So, with this plan in mind, I quickly grabbed my phone, from my side desk, to message Zander.

To Hot Egoistic Jerk:

Hey.

From Hot Egoistic Jerk:

Woah! VALENTINE WOOD MESSAGED ME ASHAHSHSHWA

To Hot Egoistic Jerk:

Shut up! I'm in a mood to go out and have some good time. Wanna join?

From Hot Egoistic Jerk:

Fine. I'll meet you at the Diner in 10.

To Hot Egoistic Jerk:

Okay.

After that, I didn't get a reply from him. This is it, I will finally know what Zander-And-Connor-Hating-Each-Other-Thing is all about.

My thoughts were broken by a soft knock on my door. I went to open it, only to see my mom.

My eyes widened in surprise and I said,"what are you doing here?" Then I realized how rude I sounded, so I quickly reframed my sentence.

"I mean, of course, you can come here. It's your house. God, I'm sorry for sounding so rude. But as a matter of fact, why are you here in my bedroom?"

My mom pursed her lips, in a straight line, then straightened out her already straightened dress. "Your dad's working on a really important deal, so the person he's going to make a deal with is coming tomorrow for dinner. He and his whole family, so I need you to dress properly and be on your best behavior."

My mom met me after like a week; what she tells me is to be on my best behavior and wear a nice dress to impress my dad's prey.

I gave my mom a fake smile, which I'm pretty sure she didn't quite catch. "Of course, mom. I would wear the best dress I own and I'll try not to cause any complications." She nodded and left the room. I rolled my eyes at her as soon as she was gone. I grabbed my phone, car keys and left the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I arrived at the restaurant, then sat at a table waiting for Zander.

"Hey, sorry for being late." A familiar voice said from behind me. I looked over my shoulder at him and said, "it's fine." He came and sat in front of me.

"Okay Valentine, I know you didn't ask me to just hang out. So, tell me, what do you exactly want?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.