Chapter 17: You Will Always Have Me

Valentine's POV

It had been almost a week since the lily encounter but Zander's and Andrew's friendship was strained. It wasn't the same. There were small talks, awkward silences and nostalgia for that old bond that they shared.

I tried talking to Zander about it but he always used to drop the topic and would steer away from it. Amanda tried to talk to Andrew but he did the same thing.

"What are you thinking?" I heard Zander ask me from behind. I looked over my shoulder and saw him leaning on the doorway. I patted the empty space beside me, motioning for him to sit down. The cabin's porch was definitely one of the best spots. I loved sitting here for some time to be alone.

"Nothing." I told him with a shake of my head. "Just thinking after few days, summer break will come to an end. And also, how much I'll miss this place." I added with a smile. Zander nodded his head in agreement.
"I remember when I was a kid my family and I used to come here every Christmas and new year. It used be a blast." Zander said softly. I looked at him and I could see the longing on his face. My heart clenched at the sight. I slipped my hand through his and gave it a squeeze and said,"Used to?"

"Yeah. Before work happened. My parents just didn't have time for me and Vanessa anymore." Zander paused. I knew it was hard for him to talk about this. I knew exactly how it felt to be ignored by your own parents. "They got so busy with work that they forgot about everything." Zander finished. I didn't push him to tell me more. I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed when he instinctively wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close.

"You will always have me. Don't ever forget that." I told him gently.

~~~~~~

"I don't want to go back." Amanda said with a groan. I nodded my head and said,"Me too."

We had just finished packing and tomorrow we would be heading back home. Our time at the cabin flew by before we realized. I was definitely going to miss this place but thanks to Zander we could come here whenever we wanted.

"So, are you excited for prom?" Amanda asked as she laid down on my bed. I looked at her weirdly and said,"There is still time for prom, Am." Amanda's eyes widened at my response.
"Prom is one of the most important events in a girl's life. How can you possibly not be excited?" I laughed at her and said,"I'm thinking to not attend prom." It was true. I didn't like to dance so what's the point of attending prom and I was pretty sure Zander had the same perspective on them.
"But it's our senior year." She pouted. I nodded my head. "Alright. I'll think about it." I could understand her point. It was our last year of high-school. Prom was the last memorable event of it.

"So, when will you and Zander date? Honestly, it's getting annoying. That guy looks at you like you're the only girl in this world to exist and the sexual tension is suffocating. That poor guy is always trying to woo you and you turn him down." Amanda said with an eye roll. I'm pretty sure my cheeks were blazing red and I said,"I like Zander. And I don't know. I mean, he's been through a lot. It's better if I just be a friend to him at the moment."

Suddenly the door of my bedroom was opened harshly and Zander was standing there with a scowl on his face. "I'll take that as my cue to leave." With that Amanda scattered out of the room. My eyes widened as I quickly got up from the bed and said,"What are you doing here Zander?"

"I heard what you said." Zander told me as his scowl deepened on his face. I bit my lip nervously as he started walking toward me.
"You eavesdropped?" I asked him with a wry smile. "That's not the point." He said as he stopped in front of me. I looked up at him and almost gasped at how he was looking at me. It almost made me breathless.