Chapter 2

I have nearly been driving for 3 hours and haven’t heard a peep from Ryder, until now. Loud cries echo through the interior of the car.

“Urgh, Ryder please not now.” I say to myself, knowing he doesn’t understand a thing.

I decide to take a break from my journey and pull into the parking lot of a diner. Ryder is most likely crying because he is hungry and I could go for a bite to eat myself. I find a nice end spot in the lot and turn off the car. I snatch Ryder and make my way to the diner, as soon as I step inside the smells of bacon and eggs fill my nostrils.  I didn’t realize how hungry I was until now, I've been trying my best to get myself healthy again, but it's become difficult. Some snotty middle aged women leads Ryder and I too our table shooting me a strange look and I know exactly why. I could imagine what’s going through her head

'She’s too young to have a child'

But some things we just can’t fucking control can we? She comes back to take our order, I decided on pancakes and bacon and order some scrambled eggs for Ryder. After what feels like forever we finally get our meals. I feed my baby boy while devouring my breakfast as well. I pay the check and quickly leave hoping to receive no more dirty stares.

I get back on the road still deciding where to go. Since Ryder is wide awake and staying quiet I pop in my favorite ATL album and begin to sing along hoping it will make the ride a little less painful. Without even realizing I have been driving for 5 more hours and Ryder has fallen fast asleep yet again. It's a little passed 4 o’clock and I think I should probably find out where the hell I am. Pulling into the nearest parking lot I take out my phone and open the GPS. From what it says it looks like I have ended up in Silver Hills, California. I’ve driven eight hours from my fears and I think this is where I might stay. I pull out of the lot so I can find the nearest motel. After about 20 minutes I come across one, not the nicest one, but I really need to get out of this fucking car for the day. I pull into the motel parking lot and quickly grad Ryder and run into the motel since the weather has taken a toll for the worst. When I finally reach the building I walk to the front desk dripping from the rain. Sat behind it is a short balding man that smells of cheap cologne and cigarettes.

“Hey how ya doin sweety how can I help ya?”

“Uh..can I have a room for one night?” I ask hesitantly.

“Of course, can I see some ID and credit card?” His face inches closer to mine.

“Actually I was wondering if I could pay in cash?”

“Oh yeah okay that’s good, that’ll be $98.50.”

I hand him the money and in return I’m handed a key card to my room. I make my way to the elevator and ride it to the 3rd floor. I walk down the hall until I arrive at room 324. I slide my key and the door clicks open allowing me access. The motel states that there’s a no smoking policy but it’s obvious that plenty of people have smoked in here before. I really wish I could afford something better for Ryder’s sake, but I can’t. I only have what I’ve saved from my previous job at Dunkin Donuts & some money that my Grandma made me take from her. I don’t want to spend a lot because as of right now I’m an unemployed single teen mom. Sounds great doesn’t it?

It’s about 5 o’clock now and my hunger is starting to grow again. I find a pamphlet in my room that’s contains the numbers of nearby pizzerias and Chinese food restaurants. I decide on pizza and have it delivered to the room. Ryder and I enjoy our meal and before I know it he’s fallen asleep on my lap and shortly after I’m drifting off myself.

“Stop”

“Please, stop”

“STOP”

“SOMEONE HELP”