Chapter 13

Shit.

Glass plates shatter as they hit the hard floor of the restaurant, the atmosphere dead silent. Bending over to begin to pick up the mess I had just made my manager calls me into the kitchen. Leaving the disaster to the rest of the staff I follow her.

“I think you should take the rest of the night off.” She speaks.

I nod in agreement, not even bothering to try to protest her decision. This isn’t my first mistake of the night. Prior to dropping the tray of dishes, I spilt a tray of drinks all over a customer. Not to mention I knocked a bowl of steaming hot soup all over my lap, my skin still burning.

Its only 6 o’clock when I step into my car, I was barely at work for two hours before I was sent home. I can’t focus on anything, except Harry of course.

Arriving back at the apartment I take in a deep breath before exiting the car. Walking into the building I nearly trip over the corner of the large woven rug. I just cannot get a break today.

Sliding my key into the lock I open the door swiftly. Alexia turns in my direction a surprised expression taking over her face.

“I thought you had work till nine.”

“I did, but they sent me home.” I confess.

“Should I even ask?”

“It’s nothing exciting believe me, just a few shattered dishes.” I explain, laughing as I do it.

“Okay, I’ll be on my way then.”

“Bye.”

Alexia leaves without interrogating me which I’m thankful for. Ryder lies asleep on the couch, so I decide to take another shower, I reek of tomato soup and the smell is beginning to make me nauseous.

Harry’s POV

“Come to my place and I’ll drive to the law office.” Alexia speaks into the phone much louder than she should.

“Fine.” I reply, ending the call.

Alexia is a fucking horrid driver, I honestly fear for my life when I’m in the car with her.

Reminding me of our meeting, today is the day we meet the lawyer to discuss our family inheritance our parents had left for us. Pain and regret flood my mind, tears building, on the brink of escaping. Erasing the thoughts, I wipe away the tears trickling down my cheeks with the hem of my shirt.

 After my parent’s death nothing was ever the same, Alexia and I went our separate ways and my route wasn’t exactly the best decision.

I’m a fuck up, what more could I say?

Never have I ever given a fuck what others thought about me, except...But I figured today I would look half way decent to make a high-quality impression on the lawyer. A white v-neck is pulled over my torso accompanied by blue-black dark wash jeans. Taking it up a notch I slide on a black blazer. White converse are the first pair of shoes I see so I guess they will do.

Ruffling my fingers through my think curls is enough before heading out the door.

Lea’s POV

Lingering my stay under the warm water I wish I could stay in here forever.

 Eventually pulling myself from the comforts of the shower I throw on a clean set of pajamas. Black joggers and a navy blue hoodie are perfect for this bitter night. Braiding my hair into a bun I then make my way back into the living room.

 Ryder has woken up, but remains where he was before. Lifting him from the sofa he feels surprisingly warm. His skin is clammy and his clothes have a damp feel. Pressing my lips to his forehead his temperature has skyrocketed. Frantic I have no idea what to do, Ryder has never been sick before and I know no doctors in the area. Slipping on my moccasins I place Ryder into his carrier grabbing my phone and keys. Closing the door behind me I’m practically running to the car.