Chapter 4

I recover quickly hoping she didn’t notice me freeze at the sound of her words.

“Well thanks for the help!” Alexia helps me finish picking up the rest of my things and I scurry up to my new apartment.

Thinking about it I haven’t eaten all day and all Ryder has had is his bottle, which ended up all over the floor. I fetch the packages from the living room and pull out a frozen pizza and some smoooshed peas for Ryder. They’re his favorite.

Preheating the oven I stick the pizza in anxiously waiting for it to cook. All I’ve eaten since I’ve been here is damn pizza. I’ll have to take a trip to a proper food store soon now that I have a fridge and some storage.

I finish packing away the rest of the items I picked up at CVS earlier and head back into the living room. Ryder had fallen asleep on the blanket I laid out on the floor for him during my time in the kitchen. I know he has to eat, but he’s too precious to wake up right now. I flick on the television and search through the channels. I come across the Discovery channel and decide to stay and watch.

“Oh my gosh that’s horrible,” I don’t even realize I’m talking out loud at the sight of the lions feasting on the corpse of a young zebra. But it’s the circle of life after all right?

*BEEEEP*

“Finally!”

My pizza is waiting to be consumed by me and only me.

“Fuck.” I have nothing to take it out of the oven with. I should have bought oven mits at the store but of course I didn’t. I grab some napkins and grip the hot pan with my fingertips and place it down on the counter as quick as I possibly can.

“OW!” I rip the napkins away to reveal my freshly burned fingertips. Just my luck.

I run my fingers under the cold water for a good 10 minutes until the stinging finally stops. The pizza is now cold, but I decide to eat it anyway, pizza is better when it’s cold. I cut a few slices with the utensils that came with the apartment. Piling them onto my plate I head back into the living room.

Four hours down and five slices of pizza later I finally decide to head to bed. I pick up Ryder and walk to the bedroom. This bed is huge, bigger than any bed I’ve ever had. I pull up the covers and slide in. I’m already in comfy clothes so I don’t bother to change. With Ryder by my side nothing could be better. Alone in the dark room I can’t help but think about Harry. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that Alexia has a brother named Harry. It could be possible, right?

The thought of seeing him around more gives me goose bumps. No one who I’ve only met twice has ever had this kind of effect on me, he’s just different.

My thoughts slowly put me to sleep

**       **        **       **       **       **       **       **       **

My eyes slowly flutter open and instantly dart to the clock. It reads 11:00am

I jump out of bed quickly checking Ryder to make sure he’s ok, and sprint to the bathroom. I have work at one o’clock and I cannot be late. I rip off the sweatshirt followed by my leggings; slide my bra down my arms and my undies down my legs. I practically jump into the shower.

“No way,” I never unpacked my shampoo and soap from my bag and have nothing to wash myself with. I hop out wrapping my dripping body in the comforts of a towel and run to my bag leaving the shower running. I unzip my bag and snatch the shampoo, soap, and my vanilla body wash. I always loved the smell of vanilla.

Making my way back to the steam filled bathroom I resume where I had left off. Lathering my short dark hair with the shampoo and scrubbing myself head to toe leaving no trace of that motel behind I hurry my ass up and get out of the warm shower.