Chapter 17

“Come on baby, walk to mommy” I exclaim attempting to teach Ryder to walk.

Little reaction is displayed from Ryder as he stands with a blank face for a few seconds before falling on his bum. Rising early this morning I took the opportunity to challenge my son to walk, all endeavors of course fail. Crawling will have to be satisfactory for now since I’m due at the office in a half hour.

The weekend seems like a blur, passing so quickly. Talking to Harry on and off, but never seeing each other. I’m not going to lie, not seeing him generated an empty feeling inside, especially after our conversation about my scars. Harry’s words circle my mind, filling it with thoughts of him. I can almost smell the musty cologne I dreadfully miss.

A faint knock on the door pulls me from my daze.

“Hey.” Kasey beams.

Being fortunate Kasey was able to babysit last minute since calling her had slipped my mind.

“You know the drill. “

”Yep.” She replies laughing slightly.

**      **     **    **    **

Stepping into the car the engine comes alive; nerves begin to settle in, guessing it’s just the first day jitters. I have a feeling this job will suite me well, and support my son and me. Pulling into the lot choosing a fairly close spot I make my way to the shop.

My original shift should have been from 9am to 2pm, but a giant mix up occurred, moving me from the original shift to the 2pm to 6pm. The hours are shorter, but they reassured me that the pay would be the same, since this is only temporary. Business is slow for the first two hours picking up as my shift was coming to a close.

The ringing of a bell, signaled by the door snaps me back into reality.

“Please help.”

Her face is pale, cheeks flushed with eyes full of worry. Long strands of strawberry blonde hair hang over her shoulders falling into her face.

“What happened?” I ask urgently noticing the wounded cat in her arms.

“The car was sp-speeding, they didn’t s-see her, they didn’t stop.” She shouts.

Without hesitation I immediately call for the doctors, a few seconds pass before the injured cat is out of our sight. The young girl proceeds to take a seat and I trail after her.

“She’ll be alright, think positive.” I try to comfort her, unsure of the amount of truth behind my words.

“I’m trying, I’ve had Mia since I was so young, I never imagined her going like this.”

Tears falls from her dull hazel eyes, filled with sadness.

I take her silence as a plea to not bombard her with questions. Her face is buried in her palms, the only fear in her life being the well being of her pet. Appearing to be around my age I long for my only worry to be based on an animal. Instead I have a son, no family willing to be present in my life, and barely any money in my bank account, but I do have something…

I have Harry…I think.

We chat and I discover her name is Sydney, and she is in fact 19 like I had predicted. Turns out she belongs to a normal life, unlike me, but I would hate to reveal my life story so I keep the details to myself.

Dr. Chance comes bursting through the swing doors with news of Sydney’s cat. Relief washes over her as the good news of Mia rings through her ears, although the she will have to spend the night. Waving goodbye Sydney, she thanks me for comforting her during her time in the office; I return the gesture feeling appreciated and flash a bright smile to her.