Chapter 5

"I actually have someone in mind too!" Abby said. There was a long silence, more drama for the show.
"... My Choice Is Nia." Zane said.

Maddie was fuming, her face was as red as a tomato. My mom came down from he viewing room and gave me a big hug. I was beaming. "I was actually going to say Maddie, Zane. Her technique was over the top." Abby said, eyeing Maddie. "But so was Nias. I liked the way she danced with me. It felt nice." Zane argued. "Well, I think we should go with what Zane says it was his choice." My mother said. "I Agree, to be honest, I kind of liked dancing with Zane too." I said, blushing. Abby sighed. "Zane, is that your final decision?". There was another long pause. Jeez, how much more drama does this show need?
"Yep." He said. I squealed and I gave him a small side hug. He pulled me into a full hug and I smiled. "Gross..." Mackenzie scoffed. "Who told you that you could talk to her like that? Your the gross one. Go get a life." Zane said, taking me to the duet practice room. As I left I yelled to Abby we were going to go practice. All the other girls would go practice their solos.

.-.-.

When we got into the room I grabbed two mats and told Zane to sit.We chatted for a while then he asked about where I was from and if I was mixed. "No, I'm just straight-up African American. Are you mixed?" I asked.
"Yea, actually. My mom is dominican and my dad is Irish. My grandmother was Italian and my grandfather is British." He said.
"Wow. That must be amazing."
"It's not really. People most of the time think I'm lying."
"Well I don't. I believe you." I said shyly.
"Thanks" he said.
He leaned in to me. At that moment everything froze. I didn't think about therapy, I didn't think about Maddie or dance, I didn't think about my mom. I just thought about him. I shut my eyes and leaned in.