Chapter 14

Zane led me to our changing room and Abby congratulated me. "I thought you were magnificent Nia." She said pulling me into a hug. "What about me Ms. Abby?" Asked Maddie. "You could've done better. Your dancing was atrocious today." Abby said. Maddie didn't reply, but everyone knew she was about to have a breakdown. Zane went to the boy's bathroom and changed into his costume, and I did the same. I applied royal blue lipstick with matching eye shadow. Abby rushed me and him out of the changing room, so we went backstage. "I know we are going to do great." Zane whispered to me. "I know, but don't you feel at least a little nervous? I mean, we are getting a critique on this dance, and this is our first duet." I whispered back. "Not a bit. I always feel confident when I'm with you." He gave me a hug. I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

.-.-.

"Up next, number 34, Stay By Me!" The announcer said. Zane and I took our places on stage and started to dance. A few turns and leaps later, we got into our final poses. Zane gave me a kiss on the lips, before he ran off stage. That was a shock, that wasn't even part of the dance! I tried to cover it up and act like it was supposed to happen. Everyone clapped, Zane came back on stage, then we waited for our critiques. "The dance was beautiful, And the kiss at the end added the romance to it." The judge said. The cameras followed as we both walked off stage and we had a big hug.

.-.-.

  "So, Nia, one of the producers told me some things about you and Zane. Are you guys dating or something?" My mother asked as she drove. I sighed. "Mom, to be honest, why is it any of your business? You don't care about anything else other than your T.V. image." I snapped back.

"Nia, that is not true. Why would you think about such a thing?"

"The diets, your comments about my weight, do I need to continue? You obviously not care about the show and not you daughter."

"That's it, we are going to have a family meeting at home to discuss this."

"With what family? With the one that we don't have anymore?!" I shouted.