Prologue

The first kit came out squealing loudly.

The second one thrashed about in the nest, frantic and yowling.

The third one was silent.

Willowshade looked down, coughing and panting heavily. When she noticed the silent kit, she nosed it and looked up to Heatherstone.

The medicine cat twitched her whiskers and bent down to sniff at the kit's soft white pelt.

"She's breathing just fine," She commented. "Quiet kits aren't popular, I suppose, but she will be just fine. The quietest ones always find their voice."

* * *

"Now she won't say a thing when StarClan delivers the prophecy," A golden tom spoke in the shadows. His pelt was stained with dried blood, his claws unsheathed and a crimson color.

A black she-cat sit across from his, claws sheathed and fur perfectly clean, her white patches reflected the moonlight. She blinks, not fully understanding. "What prophecy?"

The tom yawned, then coughed. Blood spattered on the ground at the she-cat's paws, who winced in disgust. "Night, come on. Don't you remember what He spoke about last meeting?"

Night bit her lip, attempting to remember. "I'm afraid I don't, Blaze."

"Then you should be ashamed!" He spat. "It is He who made you strong. . . Give him respect at the least!"

Night swallowed hard. "We are equals, Blaze. In the same position."

The tom sneered. "I pay attention to Him more than you. I deserve this place of honor more than you!"

The black she-cat frowned and narrowed her eyes. "What prophecy?" She asked again.

"The call of the coyote will awaken the rose who will join with the four. Together, they will stop defeat of the City." Blaze recited thoughtfully.

"How pathetic," Night chuckled. "Find the coyote. Find the rose and its companions. They cannot destroy us!"

Blaze chuckled. "I believe I have found the. . . Rose. . . And she cannot speak out," He laughed.

"Why not?" Night questioned.

"It's impossible for her to!" He chuckled madly to himself. When he calmed, he spoke again. "The Dark City can finally end what those cats created. Isn't it grand to destroy? Just grand."

"Blaze, what are you talking about?" The she-cat asked perplexedly.

The golden tom began pacing with excitement. Laughing wildly, his body shook. "Dark City power!" He exclaimed. From his mouth came a drop of blood.

The black she-cat's eyes widened. "Blaze, you didn't!"

"Maybe I did!" He hissed.

"You're insane! That was the last of the City's power!" She shouted.

"So? It was for a good cause!" He screamed back, foaming at the mouth.

"This cause was better than saving that energy? Making us stronger? Making us more powerful?"

"The prophecy was meant for her, and ONLY her! Now, she will never speak, and now, we will be saved. Now, we can destroy what the others started!"

"Does He know about this?" The she-cat ask, fur bristling.

"He will. It is something He would do,"

"I doubt it!" She growled, standing up. "The last of our power is gone. Wasted!"

"No, Night, you're wrong. Terribly. . . terribly wrong,"

"What have you done with it?" Night asked, walking to Blaze. She stood a few inches from his face.

The golden tom's eyes were bloodshot, and he broke out into laughter again. "Voiceless! She is voiceless!"