Chapter Twenty

"Please. . . Please don't exile me. . ." Jaggedwing cried, burying his head in his paws and collapsing. "Who will care for me? I can't survive on my own! My leg is broken. . . How will I hunt? Please! I beg you, Wildstar. . . EmpireClan is the only thing I know! Do not take it away from me!" The warrior pleaded.

Wildstar's eyes were stone-cold. "Jaggedwing. . . You are a loyal warrior. I would never suspect the attacker to be you! I am disappointed, not to mention horrified! Horrified that you were capable of such. . . Such a horrible crime!"

Tallflower was in a daze. She whispered to herself fearfully. The cats in the room all knew part of Jaggedwing's fate. Whether he would die or not was unsure.

"Seize him," Wildstar commanded. "Let him suffer. The blood on the kit's pelt and the stains on his claws speak enough."

Reluctantly, Cinderflame and Thunderfoot pulled Tallflower from her mate, and the she-cat started to sob on the ground of the medicine den. Following Wildstar and Finchwing, Cinderflame and Thunderfoot were quiet, not speaking to their friend.

Jaggedwing's head hung low, and Whitekit was sure the tom was crying.

Finchwing and Wildstar rushed to sound a call for the clan to gather. Slowly, the cats came one by one, wondering what the meeting could be about. Whispers were heard as the clan came together.

"Did something happen at the Gathering?"

"It went just fine,"

"What's going on?"

"Are the kit's being apprenticed early?"

Tumblekit padded to the clearing with Palekit, her happy expression unsure of what was to happen with her father.

"Cats of EmpireClan!" Wildstar shouted, his voice ringing in the cats' ears. "A traitor lives among us!"

Murmurs immediately started--Finchwing flicked her tail, quieting them down.

"Jaggedwing, step forward." The leader called out. "You have betrayed our clan in one of the worst ways. . . Harming one of our young! Without the young, we could not grow. They are our future, and you have attacked one of them--they are innocent!"

Whitekit's fur was standing on end, and she stood next to Willowshade. Tumblekit let out a squeal of surprise, running to her father. Cinderflame quickly stopped her by swooping the kit into her jaws. Tumblekit dangled by the scruff, violently kicking and trying to get out of her grasp.

Wildstar took a breath. "Jaggedwing, you have been my friend for many, many moons. But this? This is far beyond belief. Look, my warriors. Blood stains his claws, along with Whitekit's scent! He is guilty, no investigation needed!"

"It. . . It can't be true!" A voice called.

"Unfortunately. . . It is," Wildstar sighed. "Jaggedwing. . . You are hereby exiled from EmpireClan."

The clan gasped, with the exception of the cats who had already known. Whitekit gulped. The prophecy was a danger to her life, and she knew that she couldn't just get rid of it.

Jaggedwing fell, his ears flattened, and his wails were heard. He wouldn't survive with a broken leg--he couldn't hunt or fight if a coyote came or a rogue attacked. Perhaps he would join another clan, though it was doubtful that they would accept him.

"Get him out of here," Wildstar said softly, gesturing to the crowd of cats. "I don't care who does it, just get him out."

No one moved. No one wanted to see the tom go. Thunderfoot stepped up. Stoneleap did so as well. The two toms sighed and frowned, leading their friend out of camp. Jaggedwing was sobbing hysterically while Tumblekit and Tallflower tried to chase after him. The she-cats were stopped by Finchwing.

"I hate to do this, my friend." Thunderfoot said.

"Me too," Stoneleap coughed.

The toms brought Jaggedwing to the EmpireClan border, and all three had tears in their eyes.

Stoneleap was the one who spoke the parting words. "Jaggedwing, I have known you for the longest time. . . We were a team. . . Together. But now. . . I don't know what you've done, or why you've done it, but I hope StarClan lights your path."

Jaggedwing's head was hung low, his eyes shut tightly. He collapsed at the border, not watching the two toms leave. Breathing heavily, he broke down, his leg stuck out behind him.

Thunderfoot and Stoneleap guiltily refused to look back, and when they returned, it seemed like the camp was in absolute chaos.

Heatherstone was healing Whitekit while Palekit scurried around, looking for herbs. Tumblekit was screeching her head off, and her wails were out of control. Tallflower had collapsed on the ground, silently crying. She said nothing and snapped at any warrior who tried to comfort her.

Whitekit stared at the ground. Was this all my fault? If I didn't have the prophecy. . . I don't think Blaze would have come. He wouldn't have made Jaggedwing do that!

The clan mourned for the exiled warrior, even Wildstar. The tom regretted it, but felt that the tom could be a danger to the rest of the kits. Even though they were the same size as apprentices, he was sure that more kits were to come soon.

Whitekit winced as Heatherstone placed a cobweb on her pelt. It stung for a second, and then the kit felt relief. The medicine cat beckoned Whitekit to a nest and fetched a few seeds.

"Once you eat these, you'll feel a little better. Perhaps you'll go to sleep--EmpireClan will sort itself out eventually." The kind medicine cat spoke.

Whitekit nodded, lapping up the seeds. They tasted odd, and she didn't like it. Heatherstone stopped her from spitting them out, however, and coaxed her to swallow them.

The kit felt tired, and she looked to Heatherstone, who nodded.

"You'll be fine, just go to sleep. I promise, nothing will happen to you," she said.

Whitekit gulped and relaxed a bit, curling up into a small, tight ball. Drifting to sleep, she fell into another dream.

And it was terrifying.

A/N:

Obviously, I'm super into writing this book. I guess it'll end at 30 chapters or so, with an epilogue. Then, The Cats of the Louvre, then the sequel! I'll be sure to revise it, so point out any silly mistakes/mistypes I may have made. Usually I use my iPhone, and it's hard to tell >.<

I'm attempting to finish this book before I get back to Century, which is in a week or so! I kinda liked this hiatus, not gonna lie. It was like a vacation XD

Hope you guys are enjoying this book so far! I can't wait to write about the next dream. Also, what do you think will happen to Jaggedwing?🐾