Chapter Seventeen

The day was nearly at an end. The Gathering cats had set off, ready for that night's adventure.

Whitekit gazed out of the nursery window, looking in the direction of the Gathering Place. From the stories Willowshade had told her, it was an old, ivory building with strong columns, though some had fallen.

Outside was the Moonpool, a fountain with clean, shimmering water.

Whitekit had looked out of the window many times. She had figured out that the City was quite small, the clans taking up most of the territory. After all, the City was in the middle of the ocean. It puzzled every cat, though no one really had time to question it.

Well, Whitekit had time. She sat on a small ledge, peering down at the streets of the City. She stared at a large crack that cut through EmpireClan, all the way to IvoryClan territory.

She noticed how the crack looked like a slice made by a cat. A huge claw could have come and cut the City.

I know that's not what happened, though. That's silly! Whitekit giggled to herself.

Trying to get a better view of the rest of the city, Whitekit bounded across the hall to the elder's den--Ivyfang was nowhere in sight.

Whitekit climbed up to the window in the elder's den, tumbling off once and then trying again. From that perch, the small kit could see CentralClan and HarborClan.

She smiled, seeing CentralClan. It was very beautiful, with trees and flowers. Whitekit knew that the cats there learned to climb trees.

I'd like to learn how to climb trees! She thought excitedly. Looking to HarborClan, she remembered that Willowshade had told her that those cats learned to swim.

I want to learn how to swim too! Whitekit thought for another moment. What set IvoryClan apart?

They were very fast--Whitekit knew that they could navigate places easily. I want that skill as well!

A kit could dream. Whitekit licked her muzzle, leaping off of the windowsill and tumbling onto the soft floor. She giggled, clawing at the ground.

After pulling up strands of the soft floor, Whitekit bounded out of the elder's den, looking for someone to play with. She heard giggles in the camp clearing, and she saw Palekit showing off seeds to Tumblekit.

Whitekit frowned, turning to see Ryekit standing right behind her. She jumped up with surprise.

Like always, Ryekit held his mossball in his mouth. I think he needs a new one, Whitekit thought. It's getting old!

But Ryekit was not ready to give up the toy, for it had been Wolfkit's.

Ryekit smiled. "Wanna play?" He asked his sister.

Whitekit shook her head. She wanted to play hide-and-seek! She quickly dashed behind a pile of rocks which was nearby.

"Oh! I see! You want to play 'seek!" The cream tom purred.

Whitekit came out of the hiding place and nodded eagerly. After all, she would become an apprentice soon. She figured that she should enjoy her days as a kit, even though she was very excited to become an apprentice.

"Okay!" Ryekit smiled. He began to count, turning his back to his sister. "One. . . Two. . . Three. . . Four. . ."

Whitekit quietly dashed across the camp, diving behind the fresh-kill pile.

"Seven. . . Eight. . ."

Whitekit smiled. She was good at this game--she never made a noise!

"Ten!" Ryekit purred. "I'll find you, Whitekit!"

The kit sniffed the air, but the wind was blowing towards Whitekit, and he could not scent her. Ryekit looked around, spotted Cinderflame. She was the cat in charge while the others went to the Gathering.

"Cinderflame!" Ryekit squeaked.

"Ah, hell of Ryekit!" The warrior smiled. "What's going on?"

Ryekit purred. "I'm playing hide-and-go-seek with Whitekit!" Them quietly, he added, "Whitekit and Palekit aren't. . . 'talking'."

"That's unfortunate," Cinderflame whispered back. "Any idea why?"

Ryekit forgot to quiet himself. "Well, Palekit said that Whitekit wasn't happy for her! In becoming a medicine cat, I mean."

Whitekit flicked her ears, hearing the statement. She got up and stomped with her front paws in frustration. How could Palekit think that?

The sun had set, and Willowshade called out. "Ryekit! Palekit! Whitekit!"

"Mother, I'm here!" Ryekit said, running away from Cinderflame.

"Coming, Mama," Palekit squealed, leaving Tumblekit and her seeds behind.

Whitekit scowled, slowly walking to her mother. She flattened her ears, following Willowshade back to the nursery.

"Whitekit. . . What's wrong?" The queen asked as they entered the nursery.

The kit curled her lip before going to sulk on the soft-rock. Humph! You don't understand, Palekit doesn't understand, no one gets it!

Palekit murmured something to Willowshade.

She must be saying bad, bad things about me. . . Mama might not even love me anymore! Whitekit sniffed. It's not fair! Why can't I have a voice? Why me? Why?

A whispering breeze entered the nursery, and Whitekit could've sworn that she heard something.

"Whitekit. . ."

Whitekit's head snapped up, and she searched the nursery. Tallflower and Tumblekit had entered, but the voice did not match theirs.

"Whitekit. . ." There it was again.

The kit looked around the room--nothing. The cats seemed to be drifting off to sleep. Who would call her name?

"Come. . . Come outside, Whitekit."

Outside? Whitekit slowly stood up, putting weight on her tiny front paws. Cautiously, she padded into the hallway, the door not making a noise.

That's weird. . . The door usually creaks, she thought.

"Hello there," a voice said over her shoulder.

Whitekit jumped, opening her mouth in a silent scream. A tail slapped over her mouth.

Whitekit looked at the cat before her, and her expression changed. She was horrified. Before her, a bloody, golden tom stood. Patches of fur had been ripped out, his fangs were sharp.

The tom started to laugh lowly, not wanting to disturb the queens and kits inside the nursery.

"Pardon me! I forgot that you couldn't speak!" He chuckled. "After all, I am the one who--"

There was movement heard in the nursery. The golden tom stopped and quickly unsheathed his claws. He looked like he would leap at any cat that exited. Whitekit gasped in fear.

The noise settled, but the tom did not retract his claws.

"Ah. . . Where was I before I was interrupted?" He asked himself, the stench of dried blood reaching Whitekit's nose.

"Ah! That's right!" He whispered fiercely. "After all, I am the one who took your voice,"

A/N:

Was that a fair ending for this chapter? Yea? In this chapter, I just tried to give a better understanding of the rest of the city. . . I hoped it worked XD

There will be more action next chapter--I think! I estimated this book to be around 30 chapters, so I guess we're about halfway there! Thanks for all the reads and support <3🐾