Chapter Eight

It was all a blur.

Whitekit was huddled against her siblings, her eyes shut--she couldn't handle the scene before her. Instead, she listened to the song buried deep beneath the screams and howls. . . The song of war.

She didn't see what made up the gruesome melody, however. Willowshade stood directly in front of her kits, hissing even though she was protected by the guard of two cats--Softgaze and Heatherstone. The coyotes were busy fighting the clan--which had broken up into four groups. Ivyfang, the only elder of EmpireClan, stood still in shock along with Tallflower.

Wildstar, Finchwing, and the warriors of the Flight Team were tackling the largest coyote--they raked at its pelt, screeching with rage as the wild dog threw the cats effortlessly off its back. The clan was losing terribly, as they had split up into four groups, each one attempting to take down the monsters.

"This. . . This isn't working!" Finchwing cried out to Wildstar, completing a simple duck-and-twist.

The leader grunted in agreement, attempting a leap-and-hold while Jaggedwing assumed a half-turn belly-take. The coyote howl in pain as its stomach began to bleed, but the group was far from winning. Echomoon had a deep gash on her flank, and the group already had many cuts and scrapes from the ground alone.

Next to them, the apprentices and their mentors made up a gang of five--trying to pin another coyote. Strikepaw's mentor was Boulderstripe, who was currently engaged in another fight. Valleypaw was visibly shaking, completing a back kick learned in her training. Next to her was her sister, Emberpaw. The light gray she-cat had an open and bleeding wound on her pelt, and she was hissing with pain.

Now, by the entrance to the roof, there was a pair of two warriors--Boulderstripe and Graylight. The coyote they were fighting was small, but just as fierce. The wild beast did not want to be tamed, and it had already torn Boulderstripe's right ear. The tom was hissing as it lunged forwards, only to retreat back each time.

The last pair of cats were Thunderfoot and Cinderflame. They were fighting the smallest coyote, and were the only ones who seemed to be in triumph. They took turns bullying the smaller beast--Thunderfoot would rake at its pelt with one swipe before quickly retreating. As soon as the tom started to step back, Cinderflame would run forward and deliver a strong blow.

The duo was the only group winning their fight--they were the light in all the darkness. . . They were the melody of the song of war. While both cats did not want to kill, they realized that their clan would be in danger if it survived.

"Take the honor, Cinderflame!" Thunderfoot shouted to his fighting partner. He completed a successful frontal blow before nearly tripping over his own paws.

Cinderflame nodded, lunging forward as Thunderfoot ran back. Quickly contemplating whether to do a killing bite or an upright lock, she realized that a killing bite was deemed dishonorable. She gave a cry as she completed an upright lock, letting the broken coyote fall to the ground--disheveled and dead.

The gray she-cat gasped in relief, hanging her head to catch her breath. Thunderfoot walked up to her to congratulate their win, but Cinderflame looked up at her clanmate with tears in her eyes.

"I. . . I can't believe I just did that. . . " She whispered. The warrior was barely audible, but Thunderfoot could tell what she was saying.

He nodded. "It doesn't make us murderers," he reassured her. "It makes us saviors to our beloved ones in the clan."

Cinderflame choked back a sob and nodded, knowing that he was correct. "We cannot risk anymore lives. We must charge back into battle. May StarClan be with you," She said, dashing to help Boulderstripe and Graylight.

Thunderfoot nodded promptly before dashing back into another fight. There was a large, open wound bleeding on his pelt. It stung as the wind blew harshly at it. . . but he kept going. He dove into battle alongside the Flight Team and his leader.

Beside them, the second largest coyote howled loudly--a dreadful sound. Whitekit shivered with fright as she heard the apprentices shrieking. The howl was mournful. . . Perhaps EmpireClan is winning! She thought, huddling closer to Willowshade.

The song of war rang loudly in Whitekit's ears, and she whimpered, flattening her ears and opening her mouth in a silent cry. Willowshade noticed, wrapping her tail protectively around her three kits. Palekit wailed, and Willowshade silenced her, not wanting the coyotes to be attracted to the cries. Tallflower looked weaker than the small kits, however. She cried into Tumblekit's fur, and Tumblekit sniffed, trying not to sneak peeks at the battle surrounding her.

A shrill cry was heard--it was from Emberpaw.

"Heatherstone!" The apprentice cried out.

Heatherstone perked her ears, but refused to leave the weak ones of the clan unprotected. "What's going on?" She cried back.

"We've got it, Emberpaw!" Longstep shouted to his apprentice.

The she-cat nodded, wincing as the breeze touched her open wounds. Whitekit could hear her crying to Heatherstone. She could tell that some cat was terribly hurt.

A strange scent hit Whitekit's nose, and she blinked her eyes open. What's that horrible smell? She asked herself. It was a mix of blood, and something else. The kit struggled to see what Emberpaw was doing, but Heatherstone finally moved out of the way.

Valleypaw was slumped on the ground, a horrific gash on her neck and a twisted leg. Emberpaw's face was twisted with pain as she stared at her unmoving sister. Heatherstone let out a cry of disbelief. The medicine cat breathed in and out deeply as she dragged Valleypaw near her, sending Emberpaw back out into battle. Whitekit watched in fear as Emberpaw reluctantly left her sister behind, letting out a yowl of rage.

V-Valleypaw? Whitekit thought to herself.

For the beautiful long-legged she-cat lay on the ground in a tangled mess. . . dead.

A/N:

Okay, come on guys. Some cat had to have died, or else it would have been unrealistic! Don't worry, Flame. I'll really make Morning cry next chapter. I don't know if she reads this XD but I'll be sure to show her--and everyone--a very sad scene.

How was it? I was writing it throughout the afternoon and watching TV.

I tried to incorporate some battle moves and such. Did it work? How do you like it so far?🐾