Chapter Twenty-Eight

Today is the day!  Whitekit cheered in her head.

She bounced up and off of her soft-rock, her heart beating loudly. Palekit! Ryekit! Up, up, up!

Whitekit stomped her paws, stepping over her siblings and licking her fur clean. Willowshade groaned.

"It's. . . oh! My, you're right, Whitekit! Up, up, up, my warriors! Today is the day of our ceremony!" The queen said.

Ryekit shot out of the nest and out of the door. Palekit was excited, her gray fur was fluffy and cleaned.

"I can't wait to become a medicine cat!" Palekit exclaimed.

Sure enough, Wildstar and Thunderfoot's call was heard.

The queens and their kits hurried to the camp clearing, where Wildstar was standing tall upon the Highrock.

"It is finally time for our clan kits to become apprentices," Wildstar said loudly. "Ryekit, Tumblekit, Whitekit--please step forward."

On cue, the three kits smiled and stepped forwards, their chests puffed out and noses up. Their eyes shined.

"Ryekit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Ryepaw. Your mentor will be Duskheart. I hope he will pass down all he knows on to you."

Willowshade smiled as Ryepaw touched noses with his new mentor. The two sat down, and it was Tumblekit's turn.

"Tumblekit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Tumblepaw. Your mentor will be Embersun. I hope she will pass down all he knows on to you.

As for Embersun. . . you have received excellent training from Longstep. I know that you will train Tumblepaw the code's noble ways. You deserve this first apprentice--good luck." Wildstar said.

Embersun looked surprised. She had only been a warrior for a moon, but had displayed much maturity. Happily, she touched noses with Tumblepaw, and they sat down together.

Tallflower looked sad. . . her only kit and family member was leaving her. . . to grow up. The former queen's eyes were filled with tears, but she was happy.

Wildstar spoke again. "Now, Whitekit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Whitepaw. Your mentor shall be Stoneleap. I hope he will pass down all he knows on to you. Stoneleap is loyal, and I hope he trains you well."

There were small cheers, but Thunderfoot shushed them. He waited for his other daughter's ceremony.

"Palekit," Wildstar ordered. "You have chosen the path of a medicine cat. Since you have reached the age of six moons, it is time for you to start your journey. Until you receive your medicine cat name, you will be known as Palepaw. You will be the apprentice to Heatherstone, and I know she will pass down her knowledge of healing onto you."

"Ryepaw! Ryepaw! Tumblepaw! Tumblepaw! Whitepaw! Whitepaw! Palepaw! Palepaw!" The clan cheered loudly.

Whitepaw beamed brightly, and her eyes were shining. Looking back to her mother and father, they were very happy too.

Stoneleap turned to his apprentice. "Are you excited?" he asked.

Whitepaw nodded eagerly. I can't wait!

Stoneleap chuckled at the apprentice's enthusiasm. "I'm sure you want to venture out into the territory, yes?"

Whitepaw nodded excitedly. I do, I do!

"Well then, what are we waiting for?" Stoneleap asked. "Let's go!"

Together, they padded out into the territory. Whitepaw remembered some of it, but it was huge! She and her mentor visited places that she hadn't seen before. It was run-down, but it was beautiful in her eyes.

"Being an apprentice takes much concentration," Stoneleap said. "And I'm sure you'll get the hang of it."

Whitepaw listened carefully.

"Why don't we get a feel for something?" The tom asked, crouching down. "This is the hunter's crouch--I'm sure you've heard of it."

Whitepaw nodded. I have heard of it!

"Want to try it?" Stoneleap asked.

Whitepaw nodded, crouching down as her mentor had done. Stoneleap chuckled. "We'll work on it lots," he said. "Your tail is moving. . . and your paws are quite out of place,"

Whitepaw licked her muzzle. At least I tried!

But then the apprentice broke out into a series of violent coughs. Stoneleap darted to her and inspected her face. "What's wrong?"

Whitepaw continued to cough, but pointed her tail to her head. Her head hurt.

Stoneleap nodded. "Let's get back to camp. . . quickly, now."

Whitepaw nodded, struggling to stand up. With her mentor's support, she made it to the medicine den.

Palepaw looked up. "What's wrong?"

"Don't know. . . But she seems faint." Stoneleap said.

Heatherstone nodded, pushing some seeds towards Whitepaw.

"Eat these--you will fall asleep. It'll help, I promise."

Whitepaw nodded, lying down in a nest and lapping up the seeds. This wasn't how she wanted to spend her first day as an apprentice.

Finally, Whitepaw could feel herself drift away into a deep sleep.

And it was dark.

And he was there.

His golden, blood-stained pelt had more patches of blood.

His fangs were sharp, and his lip was curled up.

"Congratulations," he purred. "On your apprenticeship."

A/N:

This is the last chapter :)

There won't be an Author's Note in the Epilogue, but be sure to comment your thoughts.

Thanks for all your support. The_Warrior_Writer , -Skyfrost- , twentyoneproblems , and Nyan_Narwhal : You guys have been really nice with your comments, and have commented on many chapters! Thanks a lot.

Thank you all for reading! I love Whitekit a lot. . . Maybe one day, I'll return to write the sequel : )🐾