Chapter Eleven

It was a fairly quiet procession back to camp. Whitekit trailed slowly behind Willowshade, who was behind Tallflower. Tallflower was holding Tumblekit in her mouth, despite how big the six-moon-old kit was.

Palekit and Ryekit were silent, and Whitekit walked next to them, glancing to Emberpaw ever so often. The apprentice had tears stained on her face, her tail sagging on the ground behind her, and her paws dragging.

The warriors of EmpireClan were mostly quiet--a murmur here and there, and an occasional cough, but always the sound of a heavy limp.

Whitekit had a tiny limp, keeping off her bitten paw. When she heard loud, slow steps behind her, she glanced back. Jaggedwing's hind left leg looked crumpled. . . His face was twisted with pain, and Heatherstone walked beside him. The tom had been dangerously injured. Whitekit wondered if he would ever be able to leap again. What a horrible thing to think! She scolded herself.

Meanwhile, Tumblekit dangled from her mother's mouth, looking around as the clan marched back into their camp. The she-kit was searching for something. . . Her brother.

The camp looked nearly identical to when it was left--the coyotes must have been busy chasing down the clan. When the warriors stepped foot in their home, Whitekit could feel some of the tension release around her. Most of the cats were relieved that no damage had been done, and Wildstar slowly cleared his voice to make an announcement.

"I. . . I am unsure of what to do now, being honest." He started. "All badly injured cats, please follow Heatherstone to be treated immediately. Cats with scratches and scrapes, kindly wait outside, and she will get to you as soon as possible."

The clan murmured in agreement, and Ivyfang, Tumblekit, and Tallflower began to head to their dens. Willowshade was reluctant to move at first, but then she picked up Whitekit by the scruff.

How embarrassing! I can walk by myself! Whitekit squirmed in her mother's mouth, trying to break free.

"Mommy, can I watch Heatherstone?" Palekit asked as Willowshade began to head to the nursery.

"Palekit, I'm afraid that you might get in her way," The queen spoke softly.

"If I ask Heatherstone, and she says yes, then can I watch her?"

After a moment of thinking, Willowshade nodded. Whitekit wriggled out of her mother's grasp, standing by Palekit. She smiled, Can I go with Palekit?

Willowshade looked at Whitekit. "You want to go along too?"

Whitekit nodded.

"Alright, you two. But make sure you don't cause any trouble." The queen told her kits. "Ryekit, come along."

The cream tom padded slowly behind his mother, most likely thinking about his favorite companion--Wolfkit.

Palekit smiled and walked to the medicine den, beckoning Whitekit to follow her.

I'm sure herbs are boring, Whitekit thought, but it's better than sitting in the nursery hearing Tumblekit cry. . .

Shaking the bad thoughts from her head, Whitekit stumbled after Palekit, trying to ignore her stinging right paw.

When the two kits reached the medicine den, the scent of blood wafted to their noses. Whitekit cringed, following her sister who was walking up to Heatherstone.

"Heatherstone?" Palekit squeaked. "Is it okay if me and Whitekit watch?" She asked.

Heatherstone looked up from a warrior she was treating--Jaggedwing. She nodded. "Of course! And I could use some help as well. . . Would you mind finding a cobweb to cover up some bleeding wounds?"

Palekit nodded. "I think I know what that looks like," She murmured, walking over to a pile of white, sticky-looking strings. Whitekit sniffed the air and cringed. She chose to watch in the back corner of the den.

Seeing a soft-rock, Whitekit climbed onto it and lay down, watching Heatherstone and Palekit. What if Palekit really likes herbs? She thought. I always thought she wanted a mate and all, plus, we might not be best friends if she became a medicine cat. . .

But Whitekit saw Palekit rushing around the medicine den, grabbing poppy seeds and cobwebs to treat patients--Palekit did whatever Heatherstone instructed her to do, all with a smile on her face.

Whitekit smiled, knowing her sister was happy to help her clan. Her ears perked as she heard Heatherstone speak.

"Jaggedwing, I'm afraid that when you heal, you might not be able to. . . To leap as much as you would like." The medicine cat told the tom.

"What?" He said, looking up at her. His hind leg had been bandaged, and a stick had been placed in a cast-like thing to support the leg.

"It's just too dangerous," Heatherstone sighed, sitting down. "If you take off, your leg could fail you. . . You could fall and die,"

Jaggedwing stayed silent, turning away. He grunted, signaling that he did not want to speak about it. Whitekit could tell how his life was overwhelming him. First, his son was gone, and now he was being told that he could no longer leap--a pure EmpireClan tradition.

Palekit sighed happily, trotting over to Whitekit for a short break. Whitekit smiled and looked to her. Oh! My paw! She thought. She lifted up her paw so Palekit could see.

"What's that?" Palekit inquired, sniffing at the bite.

Whitekit shrugged, licking it.

"No, don't lick it!" Palekit said. "I'll fetch a cobweb for you, I think it'll be alright."

Whitekit nodded gratefully and watched her sister dash off to grab a cobweb. Palekit is so caring. . . She would make a great medicine cat, Whitekit thought.

When Palekit rushed back, there was a clump of white in her mouth. Delicately, Palekit set the bundle down, wrapping Whitekit's paw in the webs.

Whitekit licked Palekit's ear lovingly as a thank you. Palekit smiled. "I need to go and help Strikepaw now,"

Whitekit nodded, starting to curl up on the soft-rock. She could hear her sister dashing off, and she closed her eyes.

Darkness consumed the tired kit, and a familiar, distant voice was heard.

"The call of the coyote will awaken the rose who will join with the four. Together, they will stop defeat of the City."

A/N:

Hope you enjoyed that chapter! Do you think Palekit should/will become a medicine cat? Comment your thoughts!

Also, would anyone be interested in a "Wattpad Academy for Fanfiction"? It would be like a school, will "instructors" who give people tips on writing fanfictions of many fandoms. Comment your thoughts on that as well! Thank you for the reads <3🐾