Chapter One

Tail flick for milk. . . nose twitch to go outside! Whitekit repeated in her head. She looked up to her mother and twitched her small pink nose.

"Wanna go out and play, Whitekit?" Ryekit immediately asked, bounding up to his sister.

Whitekit beamed happily and opened her mouth to form a "yes". Of course, it never came out as usual.

Ryekit looked up to Willowshade. "Momma, see? Whitekit wants to come out and play too!"

Willowshade yawned and looked over to Tallflower's kits, who were sitting upright and looking at Ryekit with wide eyes.

"Ryekit, aren't you going to invite some others?" She teased.

Whitekit let out a set of sharp breaths, which was a sign of her laughter. She tugged at her sister's tail.

Palekit grunted and blinked her gray eyes open. "What do you need, Whitekit?" She asked in a comforting tone.

Whitekit frowned. They're always treating me like a newborn kit, she thought. She twitched her nose, and Palekit smiled and sprang up.

"Alright! Let's go play!" She smiled and sprang to her feet, suddenly filled with energy.

Whitekit beamed happily, stomping her small paws as a sign of excitement. She ran out into the hallway with a soft layer on the floor.

Tumblekit appeared with her brother, Wolfkit. The light brown she-kit looked at the younger kits and crouched down playfully in a leaping pose.

"I'm Tumblepaw! And I'm going to be the first apprentice on the Flight Team!" She said excitedly, tail waving.

Wolfkit scoffed. "Tumblekit, that's rat-brained! Apprentices can't become part of the Flight Team,"

"That's why I said I'd be the first!" Tumblekit pouted.

Wolfkit rolled his eyes and bent down to pick up his mossball. Tossing it up in the air, he pawed it to Ryekit. The younger tom squealed with delight as he batted it back, leaving the three she-kits in the middle. They stood up on their hind legs, all pawing at the air trying to catch the mossball.

Their efforts were quite fruitless, and Wolfkit laughed mockingly each time he caught it and threw it successfully.

Palekit had sat down boredly, watching the toms tease Tumblekit and Whitekit.

"You two always have all the fun!" She complained, lashing her tail. "We want to catch the mossball too!"

"Yea!" Tumblekit agreed. Whitekit slammed her front two paws in agreement.

"So? You three can never catch it anyways!" Wolfkit announced condescendingly. He puffed out his chest fur proudly.

Whitekit frowned and looked over to Palekit and Tumblekit. Palekit's face showed anger, while Tumblekit scowled.

"I'm going to go and tell Mama!" Tumblekit announced. "You're not sharing!"

Wolfkit flicked his ear. "Ryekit and I are letting you play!" He insisted.

"No you're not!" Palekit said, her fur fluffing up. "You never let us touch the mossball!"

Ryekit kneaded his paws in the ground. "Well, you three play in the middle and try to catch it. That's letting you play," He said quietly, not wanting to fight with his friend and sister.

Whitekit's ears flattened as she watched the kits break out into a fight. Stop it! She wanted to cry out. If only I had a voice. . .

Wolfkit stood tall above the other kits. "Come on, Tumblekit! You need to jump higher if you want to be on the Flight Team," He said.

Tumblekit looked upset, her lip pouting and whiskers twitching.

Whitekit flicked her brown tail, seeing that Tumblekit wanted to cry. Running back to the nursery, she pushed the wooden door open.

Mama, Mama! She wanted to shout. Wolfkit and Ryekit aren't being fair!

Seeing that Willowshade and Tallflower were both sleeping peacefully, Whitekit bit her lip and ran over to her mother. She tugged at Willowshade's tail, and was flicked away.

Whitekit took in a sharp breath as her mother's tail flung her away, and she wobbled back to her mother, pawing at the queen's nose.

Willowshade's eyes opened, and she glared at Whitekit with annoyance. "What is it, Whitekit?" She asked kindly, though her facial expression spoke otherwise.

Whitekit twitched her nose.

"You want to go outside and play?" Willowshade asked.

Whitekit stomped her two front paws with annoyance. She had forgotten that a nose twitch meant 'to go outside', not just 'outside'.

"Yes, you want to go outside?" Willowshade asked, confused.

Whitekit was frustrated. She darted from the door back to the nest, waving her tail wildly and beckoning for her mother to come along.

"Whitekit, it's fine if you go outside to play," Willowshade smiled.

Whitekit wanted to cry. I hate not having a voice! She screamed in her head. No one understands!

A/N:

I don't know, what does one put in an Author's Note? Hope you enjoyed this chapter? Why not?

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!
Shadow🐾