Chapter Nine

"You will pay!" Emberpaw screeched, leaping on top of the coyote and landing on its back.

The apprentice held on, looking like a kit on a badger ride. She tore her claws into the wild animal's flesh, making it howl in pain. The other cats in her group stepped back in surprise--they were shocked at the sudden outburst.

"Emberpaw, no!" Longstep cried out.

His warning was too late, however, and Emberpaw sunk her sharp fangs into the coyote's neck, stripping it of its life. It slumped to the floor, it's paw twitching as its spirit left its body.

Emberpaw's lip was curled up in a snarl, her fur bristling and paws in a fighting stance. Her friend Strikepaw quickly padded over and touched his tail tip to her muzzle, snapping his friend out of her frenzy. Emberpaw blinked and looked down to the dog's dead body before her in horror, as if she hadn't the slightest clue of what she had done.

Shaking, the apprentice looked up at Strikepaw in shock. "V-Valleypaw. . . She can't be dead. . . "

Strikepaw bit down on his lip, searching for words. Duskheart, the other tom that had fighting with them, was Valleypaw's mentor, and he dipped his head down.

"She died honorably," he murmured.

"She's not dead!" Emberpaw wailed. "Valleypaw can't be dead!"

"We will see her in StarClan. . . Some day. She will watch over us until our time has come. . ."

"No!" Emberpaw cried. She marched up to Duskheart, tail lashing. "Don't say that. . . She's not dead. She's alive. . . Alive!" She broke down, sobbing for her sister.

Duskheart looked to Longstep. "She can't fight anymore--bring her back to Heatherstone, where she will be protected."

Longstep shook his head. "I must continue to fight with you. Strikepaw, however, is badly wounded. They will need to get there together,"

Strikepaw nodded, hiding the pain of his wounds. He got up and started to lead Emberpaw away, a limp showing and his left ear badly torn.

With a nod to each other, the two warriors dashed off to help Cinderflame and her group.

Meanwhile, Wildstar was suffering from severe injuries. His vision was blurring. . . Ears closing out. He growled, not giving in. He could not just abandon his group--he could lose a life later. Attempting a leap-and-hold, the leader got a grip on the beast's back. It howled with rage as Wildstar's claws sunk into its skin, and it reared up, flinging the cat off.

Wildstar yowled as he skidded on the ground, calling for help as his hind legs began to slip off the ledge of the roof. The fencing would not hold the leader in.

With weakness and loss of adrenaline, Wildstar clawed at the ground before him, praying to StarClan.

"My warrior ancestors!" He cried. "I ask you. . . Just this once. Give me the strength of ten, do not let my clan fend for itself! Do not let me fall!"

Finchwing's attention was caught, and she retreated from her fight, running to Wildstar.

"Keep still, Wildstar! I've got you!" She cried, grabbing on to the muscular tom's scruff.

With one big heave, Wildstar pushed himself up, and Finchwing pulled him back to safety on the roof. Both were panting heavily, and Wildstar felt dizzy--his head was pounding.

"Wildstar, you can no longer fight. Lead us, but do not fight," Finchwing said.

Dazed, Wildstar shook his head. "If. . . If I'm to lose a life--" The tom failed to finish his sentence before he collapsed.

Finchwing panicked, not wanting to leave her group. Grabbing her leader by the scruff, she dragged him towards Heatherstone, Strikepaw, and the others. Strikepaw saw them coming, and rushed to help his deputy and leader.

"He's losing a life," Finchwing choked out.

Heatherstone nodded. "Go back into battle, I can watch over him."

Finchwing shook her head. "No. . . No, I can't. Not yet. I must stay with Wildstar."

Heatherstone defied her deputy. "Finchwing, listen to me. We are nearly done. . . Are clan is weak. Your group needs you. Finish them--drive them off!"

Finchwing stepped back in surprise. She slowly, reluctantly nodded. "I. . . I. . . Take care of him, please," She said, eyes pleading.

Heatherstone nodded. After this, Wildstar would have three lives remaining.

Wildstar went still, then he slightly stirred. Heatherstone guarded him as the tom dreamed of StarClan.

Finchwing cried out when she saw another warrior on the ground. It was Echomoon, Emberpaw's mother. She panted heavily as she bled out from a long, jagged cut down her right side. The deputy stared in horror as her friend's blood pooled around her body, her life slowly leaving her.

"Finch. . . wing," Echomoon cried out weakly. Though it was soft and in a whisper, Finchwing bent down beside the she-cat.

"Echomoon. . . Don't leave me!" Finchwing sobbed.

"I need to watch over my daughter. . ."

"They both need--"

"No," Echomoon's voice cracked. "Valleypaw. . . She's dead. . ."

Finchwing took in a sharp breath. "It can't be!"

Echomoon nodded weakly. "Did I die honorably?"

"No, no. You're not going to die!" Finchwing told her.

Echomoon smiled weakly, as if it was a joke. "I died honorably, then."

Finchwing shook her head vigorously, but her friend was already on her way to StarClan.

"Stop this," Echomoon pleaded. "And I will. . . Watch over you in the stars, my friend. . ."

Finchwing shook her head again. "Don't leave!"

But Echomoon's eyes were already closed, her breathing shaky. Finchwing watched as Echomoon's flank rose and fell for the final time, joining Valleypaw in StarClan.

"This can't be happening," Finchwing whispered to herself. "It can't be. . ."

The deputy looked sick as her head turned back to her battle. Only one thought came to her--end this.

Adrenaline surged through Finchwing, and she yowled out as she hit the coyote with force. For the first time, it collapsed--it was weakened.

End this.

A/N:

Uhh I wrote this in 30 minutes. On the bus XD. If there are suggestions for when I edit this, I'll gladly accept them all :3🐾