Chapter Three

"Wolfkit, that's rat-brained!" Ryekit gasped.

"No, it's not," He scoffed, puffing out his chest. "What if we went out--just for a little bit--and caught a giant rat or something?"

Ryekit frowned. "That's not a good idea, still!"

"Ryekit! Come on! Wildstar will be so impressed if we caught something. We could become apprentices early!"

Whitekit stared, horrified with Wolfkit's idea. Tumblekit and Palekit weren't happy with it either.

"Wolfkit, if you do, I'll go and tell Tallflower!" Tumblekit threatened.

"Fine, do it!" Wolfkit smirked.

"Fine!" She shouted.

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

"Well?" Wolfkit said irritably. "Are you going to go or not?"

"I. . . I will! Right, Palekit?" Tumblekit bit her lip and started to turn away. "Come on, Whitekit!" She pouted and ran for the nursery.

Whitekit stayed still. She felt oddly tired and wanted to sleep, but at the same time wanted to protect Ryekit from Wolfkit.

Wolfkit looked to the camp entrance. "Ryekit, hurry up!" He whispered fiercely and put a paw forward. "The warriors have their backs turned. . . Hurry, or else we'll miss our chance!"

Whitekit started to stomp down her paws loudly. No, no, no!

Ryekit looked torn. "Whitekit, I can't just let him leave by himself!" He cried, starting to run after Wolfkit.

Whitekit watched as her brother's tail disappeared, frantically wondering what to do. Willowshade might not trace them! She had to protect Ryekit.

Without thinking a second more, Whitekit dashed out of camp, paws flying underneath her to catch up with Ryekit and Wolfkit.

Ryekit turned around when he heard his sister's pawsteps. "Whitekit? You. . . You came?" He asked.

Whitekit nodded, her front to paws coming down on the cracked. . . Thunderpath. That's what Mama called it.

Wolfkit didn't look so tough now that they were outside of EmpireClan camp. He looked around him, then to Whitekit and Ryekit, then back at the territory.

It was truly a sight. . .

Buildings. . . So many large, tall, concrete buildings lined the streets up and down, some touching the sky and even beyond that. The sidewalk was cracked with age, and there were colorful marks on some of the walls that screamed out from the normal gray.

Windows were shattered, yet some still remained perfectly, glistening in the sun that had started to set. On the ground, Whitekit could feel small stones embed themselves in her tiny paws. The rocks from the Thunderpath were scattered about, and copper-colored circles were left on the path.

Glass shards littered the ground, too. Pigeon-dung was everywhere as well, and stray feathers, Twoleg trash, and other miscellaneous objects lined the streets up and down.

Whitekit looked around. It's beautiful! She thought to herself.

Wolfkit looked terrified now that he was out of camp. He trotted in place, eyes looking around.

"Well, it is getting late," Wolfkit said.

Whitekit flattened her ears and narrowed her eyes. What a rat-brain. . .

Ryekit nodded. "We shouldn't have come in the first place!"

Whitekit scowled, looking around to see where they came from. Wolfkit started to pad away.

Whitekit started to create a ruckus. That's the wrong way!

Ryekit looked between the two. "Wolfkit, wait! I don't think that's the right way!"

"Of course it's the right way!" Wolfkit scoffed, back to his usual self. "You'll only get lost if you go that way,"

The older kit started to pad away once more, and Ryekit and Whitekit knew that he wouldn't change his mind.

Whitekit slammed her paws with frustration.

"I know, Whitekit, but we can't just leave him!" Ryekit said.

Whitekit scowled. I'd rather do that! She thought, but reluctantly followed Wolfkit.

The three kits made their way down the Thunderpath, getting farther and farther from camp. Whitekit twitched her nose and pointed towards the opposite direction.

Great StarClan, Wolfkit! The camp is that way! She thought frustratedly.

"What are those?" Ryekit asked, gesturing his tail towards a bunch of small gray creatures.

Whitekit shrugged, slowly padding closer to them. They were small, with tiny noses. One of them squeaked loudly. A few ran away.

Ryekit frowned. "Whitekit, maybe you shouldn't get so close," He warned.

Whitekit let out a sigh. Wolfkit already got us stuck out here. Might as well be a tad curious.

She sniffed the small scurrying creatures, when suddenly one lunged forward and bit her front right paw. Its teeth sunk through the skin.

Whitekit jumped back with a loud rush of air leaving her mouth. Ryekit's eyes widened and he rushed forward, inspecting his little sister's wound.

"Wolfkit! Come over!" He cried out.

Wolfkit whipped around. "You two are so slow!" He growled, but came over to the younger kits.

Ryekit looked angry. "You came out here in the first place!" He spat. "And now my sister is hurt! Camp is more than obviously that way, we need to get her back right now!" He screeched in Wolfkit's face.

Whitekit winced as the wind blew, touching her small wounded paw. She could see blood welling up. It was small, but it stung.

Wolfkit was surprised at Ryekit's reaction. ". . . Fine." He growled lowly and began to pad in the other direction.

Ryekit frowned and helped Whitekit up. Small step by small step, they were nearly there when a sound was heard in the distance.

There was a loud, distant call. Lowly heard.

The second time, it was louder. Closer.

The third time, the call was heard with a few pawsteps.

Whitekit sniffed the air, expecting to catch a cat scent. Instead, it reeked of something wild, and she heard a scream from camp.

"THE KITS!" Tallflower and Willowshade cried. "WHERE ARE OUR KITS?"

"You better find them!" Wildstar yelled back. "Warriors, positions!" He ordered. "COYOTE!"

A/N:

Hope you enjoyed that update! I really enjoy writing this, and can't wait for the next chapter, which is really what the whole book is all about!

The small creatures were rats, of course. Whitekit will be focused on next chapter. Who loves Ryekit now? I mean, slight sass there? Or. . .

Leave a comment to tell me what you think about this book. All constructive criticism is welcome <3

Shadow🐾