Chapter Nineteen

The silence was overwhelming.

Not the usual silence Whitekit was used to, though. At times, she would sit in the nursery and play by herself. A breeze would come through the window, and the door would creak a little. A tiny thud would be heard--some warrior messing up their leap. That was fairly silent.

But this was a different silent. Whitekit couldn't hear any leaping warriors, and no breeze came into the medicine den. Cinderflame sat still, as if on guard for an important artifact that belonged to the clan. She didn't bother to make conversation with the kit, knowing that Whitekit needed to rest.

Whitekit sighed, moving her front right leg. There was a gash on it--not too deep, but deep enough to hurt the small kit. Looking at her front left leg, she noticed there was a deep slash on it too. Her attacker must have swiped both of them at once.

A cough was heard. Whitekit's heart skipped a beat, she was startled. Searching, her eyes met Jaggedwing. Has he been here the whole time?

The tom licked his muzzle before grunting and flipping over on his soft-rock.

Whitekit felt the cold air in the medicine den--the setting was eerie. Finally, a small breeze came to break the odd silence.

Whitekit blinked, a quick image flashing before her. It was of a tom's fangs. They were covered with crusted blood, and Whitekit could almost smell the blood. . . As if it were right in front of her nose. . .

Whitekit gasped loudly, her body going into a minor spasm. There he was--the golden, blood-stained tom. His fangs were bared, upper lip curled in a smile. Whitekit frantically looked around, meeting eyes with Cinderflame.

"What's going on, Whitekit? Do I need to fetch Heatherstone?" The warrior asked with concern.

Whitekit was horrified, her wide eyes flickering back and forth from the bloody cat and the senior warrior. How could she not see him?

"How foolish," the tom said, a purr rumbling in his throat. "She can't see me, of course. Only you can."

Whitekit started to shake furiously, Cinderflame's eyes were filled with deep concern. "Jaggedwing, watch her for a moment. . . I need to go get Heatherstone. . ." The she-cat said. She didn't even wait for the tom's reply before dashing out.

The tom threw his head back and laughed. "How could you forget me? I am the powerful Blaze, a servant of Him. He and only He will rule, one day. He will bring destruction. . . and the only one standing in his way. . . is you."

Whitekit breathed quickly, her heart rising to her throat. She choked on his stench, looking to Jaggedwing for help. Alas, the tom couldn't see the evil warrior, either.

"How pitiful is that?" Blaze continued, inching closer to the kit. "A kit! I would have expected a warrior. . . deputy. . . an apprentice at the least! But a kit? Now that's something new!" He laughed with delight. "And now, I must destroy the last thing standing in His way. Obviously, Night didn't have the heart!" He huffed.

Whitekit's mind froze for a second. He's. . . He's going to kill me! Mommy! Daddy! Palekit! Ryekit! Some cat. . . HELP ME!

Not caring about her wounds, Whitekit scrambled out of the nest, dashing right for the entrance of the medicine den.

"Not so fast," Jaggedwing chuckled, quickly limping in front of Whitekit. "Just wait for Cinderflame and Heatherstone to come back, alright? Don't worry, nothing bad will happen,"

Whitekit's ears flattened as Jaggedwing took a step forward, forcing her to take a step closer to Blaze. Jaggedwing attempted to coax her into going back to the nest, but Blaze waited for her to get closer and closer, one pawstep at a time.

Whitekit looked up to Jaggedwing with pleading eyes, begging him not to take another step further, yet he always did. Blaze's smirk got bigger, until he broke the terrifying silence.

The golden tom yawned falsely. "How boring! This is taking much too long. . . why don't I make it miserable for both of you?" He snickered, taking a step forward.

Whitekit let out a silent yelp as Blaze leapt forward. She shut her eyes tightly, waiting for an impact.

Nothing happened, however.

Whitekit slowly opened her eyes. . . Blaze was gone. Turning around, she toppled over with surprise to see Jaggedwing panting heavily, his head hung low. Saliva dripped from his mouth, reaching the floor in a second. He looked up at the kit.

"This is much more fun," Jaggedwing spoke in a monotoned voice.

Whitekit backed up frantically. It wasn't the Jaggedwing she knew--not the Jaggedwing Tallflower or Tumblekit knew. . . What's happening? Jaggedwing? Jaggedwing!

Whitekit opened her mouth in a quiet scream as Jaggedwing leapt forward, raking a claw against her pelt. She winced. Why me? Why me? StarClan, save me!

The warriors outside heard the ruckus, and Wildstar rushed in.

"What's going on?" He shouted, stopping in his tracks. "J-Jaggedwing. . . Oh great StarClan! What have you done?"

Jaggedwing's brace for his leg had been snapped, his injury clearly visible and swollen. Whitekit's pelt had a raw scar from where the warrior's claw had scratched him.

Whitekit ran to her mother in shock, crying into Willowshade's fur. The queen was surprised, along with Thunderfoot, Cinderflame, Wildstar, Heatherstone, and Finchwing--who had just arrived. All seven cats stood in the den, gaping at Jaggedwing who had collapsed on the floor, panting and coughing violently.

Willowshade was breathing loudly in shock. "Tallflower. . . Tallflower, you must see this at once!"

The queen came--she must have been in the camp clearing. Entering, Tallflower gasped at the sight of her mate and ran towards him.

"No, Tallflower!" Wildstar warned. "He is dangerous! He must be the attacker of Whitekit!"

Tallflower uttered a cry, looking to her leader. "Jaggedwing! No! That can't be right!"

"He wears blood on his claws. . . And the scent of the victim as well!" Heatherstone accused.

Whitekit was shaking, Willowshade trying to calm her.

Whitekit met Jaggedwing's eyes as he looked up with confusion and terror. She knew that Blaze had messed with his mind in some way, shape, or form, but he would sound crazy.

"No. . . It wasn't me, I swear to StarClan!" Jaggedwing yowled. "Wildstar, you have to believe me!"

Wildstar looked into the warrior's eyes. "I recall saying that the attacker would be exiled. . . And you know that I always stand with my word."

A/N:

Was that chapter alright? I wanted drama and action! I would've had another cat replace Jaggedwing. . . But then it wouldn't have been as good. Eh? Thoughts?🐾