2. Memory Lane

PART ONE: RUN

CHAPTER TWO: MEMORY LANE

------

TEAM WINCHESTER, '67 CHEVY IMPALA, USA

------

Oliver Queen had been a pain in his ass since day one, but when Dean showed up and interrupted his meeting he was surprisingly compliant. It wasn't until he followed the directions down to the staff room that he realized there might have been a reason for it. "It would do her good to get away," Oliver had said, and after hearing what the other employees had had to say, he thought that was an understatement. 

"Just bring her back in one piece Winchester," Oliver had warned and Dean smirked and waved and that was the last he had seen of Queen. 

He glanced to his rear view mirror to see the bright red Mustang sitting in the driveway, getting smaller and smaller as they drove away. Felicity sat shotgun, her office attire abandoned in favour of jeans and a t-shirt and to Dean's pleasure - real shoes, sort of.

"You'll get your toes flattened in those things," he commented, eyeing the flat bejeweled shoes that matched the car she was leaving behind. He wondered if it was coincidence or if the coordination was intentional. 

"What's wrong with them? I ran in ones almost the exact same when we went after the werewolf." Dean scoffed and re-gripped the steering wheel.

"Right, because that didn't nearly end in disaster," he said darkly, and then immediately regretted it as he saw the look on her face. "Did you bring the journal?" he asked suddenly, trying to change the subject and keep her on her toes - like the confident Felicity that had stormed out of that staff room. 

"Of course," she responded easily, reaching around to dig in her bag. 

"Alright, look something up for me," he started, "we're looking for something that's strictly nocturnal."

"That's basically the whole book Dean," Felicity said flatly. 

"I know that, just checking. Disappears and appears out of thin air, and don't think of telling me that's everything because I know vamps and weres are in there," he added, grabbing his drink and drawing hard on the straw. The slurping sound of an empty cup hit his ears and he shook the ice around and tried again. Empty. He glared at the cup as if it was it's fault and slammed it back down into the cup holder. 

"Ok, no windigos, vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters, skin-walkers-" Felicity listed on her fingers, with at ease that told Dean she had read it more than once.

"Let's just stick to what it can be, alright?" he suggested and she nodded as he took the exit onto the highway. "Spotted on a trail, repeatedly. Oh, and there's one account of a graveyard sighting, but it was too hard to tell if the source was credible without talking to them ourselves," Dean added hopefully.

"Dean," Felicity started, lowering the journal and peering at him over the edge of her glasses. "Where are Sam and Cas?"

"I don't know," he responded honestly.

"Is this thing, what they were hunting?" Dean's jaw clenched as he pressed down on the gas a little harder. The memories he was receiving flashbacks of weren't happy ones, searching for their dad, always seemingly one step behind him on a wild chase across the country. They had been chasing the Yellow-eyed Demon then. Dean shivered involuntarily at the thought, how close they had came to being ended themselves. 

"Yeah, except this time there's no coordinates," Dean muttered, too deep in thought to pay attention to anything Felicity had said. 

"Earth to Dean," Felicity called, her hand waving to catch his attention.