5. If I Say Run

PART ONE: RUN

CHAPTER FIVE: IF I SAY RUN

------

TEAM WINCHESTER, STULL , USA

------

When Dean got angry, the classic rock turned up a notch. When Dean got sad, the classic rock turned up a notch. When Dean was happy, the classic rock - man, it turned up a notch. But when Dean was on a mission the classic rock played no louder than a whisper, and as they pulled into Stull, Dean was definitely on a mission.

"So I've been doing some research on this Black Dog, most of what I found has been speculative and very region specific. A Black Dog in England, verses and Black Dog in America verses a black dog in India- they're all different. Are you sure this is what we're looking for?" Felicity asked, as Dean pulled into the first motel he saw.

"Well, we'll find out soon enough. Stay here, I'm going to ask some questions," he ordered before climbing out. The air was cool and crisp and seemed to Dean to be beckoning winter forth with every dull grey cloud in the sky. He tugged the zipper on his jacket up a bit before heading for the swinging sign that read 'office'. 

The lot was nearly empty, as he took in his surroundings one last time before dipping quickly through the red wooden door. A tiny bell rang overhead and summoned a middle aged man to the desk. He needed no interaction to know by the look on the man's face, he was constantly grumpy.

"It's ninety a night," the man barked without so much as a greeting. Dean raised his eyebrows in amusement before pulling out his wallet and showing the man a twenty. He sauntered forward the two steps between him and desk, and displayed the folded note between two fingers. 

"You got a big guy, about this tall," Dean motioned, "shaggy brown hair staying here?" The man eyed him suspiciously.

"Not supposed to give that information out," the man spoke slowly, his fingers twitching in a motion that suggested 'higher'. Dean never broke eye contact with him as he pulled his wallet back out. With a quick glance, he pulled out another twenty and slid the forty onto the counter between them. The man grabbed the money and slipped it into his pocket. "Room 109, booked it for a month and paid in advance," the man responded easily.

"You got a key for 109?" Dean countered, leaning into the desk now. 

The man said nothing, his fingers drumming on the surface and Dean sighed before pulling out another ten and slapping it down on the weathered counter. The man snatched it up and turned to the peg board behind him and yanked the last key off of the peg labeled '109' and tossed it to Dean. Dean nodded and gripped the key tight in his hand, a nervous tension building in his body as he turned and left.

The cool breeze hit him again and he couldn't help the small shiver that crept up his spine as the door banged behind him. Felicity was already staring up at him and he motioned her to cut the engine, jiggling the key that hung over his finger. He waited impatiently, though he began having flashbacks of the search for their dad again.

As they headed for the door that corresponded to the key in his slightly sweating palms, his mood shifted. He already knew what they would find - an empty room. He hesitated at the door until Felicity cleared her throat and Dean forced the playback to the recesses of his mind. He slipped the key into the door and it turned with ease as he pushed the door wide.

Felicity entered first, unaware of Dean's crumbling facade. He slowly followed as he looked upon the walls and to every surface strewn with papers. "It doesn't look like he's been here in a while," Felicity acknowledged, gently kicking the edge of an open pizza box, sending a small swarm of fruit flies into chaos.