Chapter 8: Shane Axel Carter

Shane's POV

*sigh* I guess that's like the billionth time I have sighed this hour. I am currently working on my Science project which was supposed to be done by partner but no, Mr. Parks told me to work alone. I've been miserably failing all my subjects, but Science was where I was struggling the most. And Math! Definitely Math. Ugh, I hate that subject.

My teacher told me that in order not to fail this year, I'm gonna have to join the Annual Science Fair which will be held on Wednesday already and it's now Thursday. Problem is, I still have no idea what to make. It could've been easier if I was working with a partner but Mr. Parks is a big asshole.

I suddenly remembered my conversation with Nathan the other day. He was telling me to go to Malibu so we can plan about the funeral. Hmm.. I guess I can use that as a reason not to make my project, right?

I was at school when I found out about my parents' death. I'm not gonna lie, hearing that tragic news brought me on the verge of tears but I was still aware of my environment. I was at school that time so no, that'd be embarrassing.

*ring ring*

My thoughts were cut short when my phone starts ringing on my bed.

"Yo?"

"Dude! You still up for that race tonight?" My friend, Kevin asks.

Oh shoot! I completely forgot about the stupid race I agreed to.

"Yo? You still there?"

"Uh yeah. I'll be there in 30." Then I immediately hang up.

It was now 7 and the race will start at 8:30 so.. I guess I have to be there now since I'm one of the racers. Drag racing, to be exact. I know it's illegal but meh, as long as we don't get caught then it's fine.

***

*at the venue*

"Sweet ride, Carter. I like it." My group of friends nod towards my car and compliment.

It was a different car than what I use everyday to go to school. My sweet Bugatti Chiron 2015. In case you're wondering, I got my license last year. Don't worry, I won't kill myself, though.

I went over to the minibar to chill for a while. "Hey Shane. You racin' tonight?" The bartender, George knows me a lot since I'm always here.

"Yep. One vodka straight up." I shortly told him and he nods in obedience.

"So I saw your brother earlier." He said, handing me my drink.

"Really? Who?"

"Max. Will he be racing, too?"

"Hell no!" I exclaim. "He's fucking underaged!"

"Woah, protective much?" He teases and that causes me to glare at him.

I left the minibar and headed to the sidelines. There he was, talking and hanging out with his friends.

Honestly, I envy my little brother. He's an achiever but the school's prankster at the same time. People call him cool, awesome and such. I wouldn't deny it though. His academics were perfect, but the only reason he gets in trouble was because of his naughty pranks. I heard he sabotaged last year's graduation and presented the principal and his secretary's scandal. I guess that explains why Mr. Martin didn't return as the principal this school year. That has seriously lowered his morale and probably caused his termination as well.

The whole student body was beyond thankful to my brother. They hated Mr. Martin to death and they considered Max as their 'hero' for what he did.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why he's the most popular kid in our school.

I jump up when I heard the loud revving of engines around me. I saw Max was left behind by his friends and he was just there, standing with his phone.

"Oh hey Shane, what are you doing here?" He said, acknowledging my presence.

"I should be asking you that, you little twat." I hiss.

"No hi? How rude." He sarcastically replies.

As a result, I sigh in annoyance. "Can you just answer my question?"

"What question?" He smirks victoriously.

Fuck him and his logic. "What are you doing here? You're clearly not allowed to drag race yet. Hell, you don't even have your license!"

"I'm aware. I'm just here to watch you lose."

"Fuck you!" My response made him let out a heartful yet sarcastic laugh.

"Shane! You're up!" Kevin calls out so I threw one last glare towards my brother before heading to where my car was parked at.