Chapter 9: Maximus Seth Carter

Max's POV

Another day at school.

I woke up this morning with a killer ass headache. Probably because I slept at 2 AM this morning. Remind me to never go to those drag racing events anymore. Biggest mistake of my life!

Basically, I'm not a party-goer. That's Shane. I definitely hate parties or any other stuff which needs socializing. Call me lame but that's me.

So here I am, at first period which is Math. I couldn't focus on what Ms. Higgins, our teacher was saying due to my massive sickness. This 54-year old woman is known as a veteran in our school, been working here for almost 30 years. Kids were nice to her since she wasn't terrorizing or strict. She understood our struggles as students and that's a reason why she's one of my favorite teachers.

"Mr. Carter, are you feeling well?" I was surprised to see her by my side now, curiosity was written all over her face. I am currently massaging my temples.

"I think so..."

"Would you like to go to the clinic and get some rest?" She suggested in concern.

"No Ma'am. I'll be fine. Thank you."

"Okay, just let me know how you feel." She smiles gently and I nod.

Moments later, the bell rang, causing everyone to hurriedly vacate our classroom. I flash an appreciative smile at Ms. Higgins which she returns, right before leaving the room as well.

Every person in the hallway basically greet me with either nods of acknowledgement, or smiles or small waves. It's just simply heartwarming. I headed to my locker, placed in my combination and started fumbling with my stuff in it.

Ugh... stupid headache.

I was startled when someone suddenly shuts my locker close. "Ey Maximus."

I heave out a heavy sigh. "What is it.. brother?"

"You and I have somewhere to go to tonight, so pack your things." He orders in a bored tone.

"And why would I go with you?"

"Come on. Don't be so choosy. We're going together." A scowl was now planted on his face.

"Where exactly is that place?" I ask him, crossing my arms over my chest.

He just rolled his eyes in annoyance. "It's just Malibu for fuck's sake."

"So that means we're gonna miss school on Monday?"

"Oh no, we'll go home quickly. Of course we're gonna miss it, you dumbfuck." He replies sarcastically.

He has no chill, I swear.

"Geez fine." I held my arms up, as if surrendering.

***

*at home*

I was just lying on my couch, using my phone when I heard continuous knocking on my door.

"Maximus! Let's go!" I guess that's Shane.

I finished packing my stuff right after I got home from school. Shane even made me ditch my debate practice. I know I know, it sounds geeky but I tried out for the debate team and I, thankfully got in.

I open the door and he enters as if he lives here. "So your things are ready?"

"Yeah. It's right there."

"K." Was all he said as he plays on his phone and I just stood there. Awkward silence took over...

I clear my throat so he looks up. "Uhm, aren't we going yet?"

"Can't you wait?"

"Ugh whatever."

***

Shane and I were now on his car after a few minutes of arguing with the use of sarcastic remarks and such. I was seated in the backseat since he placed all his food in the passenger's seat. What a good brother, right?

I also had my headphones on since I have no intentions of talking to him. Besides, he was too focused on the road. He told me earlier that the twins got into a minor accident so we had to be there as soon as possible.

Kyle's POV

So you're probably wondering why we kept on using the twins as an excuse for our brothers to come here to Malibu. Well, that's because they care for those two as much as they care for themselves.

We thought Blake would never come so we all decided to pretend as if the twins were sick. The result? Well, it worked and he's here! Even though he almost killed the three of us when he found out the truth, but I could care less.

*ring ring*

"Hello?"

"Hey it's Max. We're in Malibu but we couldn't find the address."

They're here? Who's with him?

"Who are you with?"

"Shane."

Wow, that's surprising. I'm glad they didn't kill each other throughout their trip. Another thing, it's like super late at night already.

"Use that phone-tracker app." I shrug and suggested although he can't see me.

"Good call. Thanks man. We'll track your phone down, kay?"

"Alright."

Max's POV

"Are you sure this is the house? I am seriously getting tired already." Shane asks for confirmation while referring to a mansion in a certain neighborhood.

I show him my phone and pointed the beeping reminder.

"Whatever," he rolls his eyes. "But I knock and you do the talking."

"Yeah yeah."

We exit his car and made our way towards the sky blue glass door. I felt Shane tense up, as if he's nervous to see the rest of our brothers. Well, I am too. It's been like.. 3 years since we had formally talked to each other.

He finally clicks the doorbell and seconds later, the door was opened.

"Hello boys." Kyle sweetly greets, his arms were folded over his chest.

I was about to open my mouth to say something but Shane beat me to it.

"Where are the twins?!"

"Chill, dude. They're right upstairs, sleeping." Kyle answers in a casual manner.

"Are they okay now?"

He chuckles. "Thing is... they weren't really involved in an accident. We just tricked you guys!"

Wait what?! He made us drive all the way from San Diego to Malibu late at night just for a trick?!

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, KYLE CARTER!" Shane and I exclaim at the same time.