Chapter Nine

When the blade hit my arm I was ready to scream... But I felt no pain. I found the blade wiggle on my arm as if it were made of rubber. Oh. I thought. That makes a lot of sense. I was so happy that I didn't die that day.

Soon I was back in Mati Polo's main circle. I sat underneath the willow tree just enjoying the warm Spring air when Daniel came and sat beside me. "So," he began. "How was your first day?"
"Um. Actually, pretty good. You?"
"Same. Pretty good."
"Have you gotten a Dragon yet?"
"Yeah, I got a Red one. What about you?"
"Purple."
"Ok cool. What are you going to name it?" I actually hadn't thought about that yet. Something popped into my head that I loved.
"I think I'll call it Steam Whistle. What about you?"
"Molten."
"Molten?"
"Yeah. You know, like Molten rock?"
"Oh, I like it."
"Heh, thanks." He looked at his watch. "Oh I got to go."
"Where?" I'm so glad I didn't give my first response to that one.
"To meet my friend Walter. I told him I'd meet him in the Red dorm room in 5 minutes."
"Ok, I should go find Alexis anyway." We both hopped back off the ground.
"See you later." He said running off.
"See ya." That's when I realized, we had just had a whole conversation. And I didn't even realize how normal I sounded. Sweet. I thought.

I knock on door 3 of the White dorm building. Alexis opened the door, "Hey Lira."
"Hi Alexis."
"Come on in." She said gesturing for me to come in.

Alexis's room was cream white, had a fireplace next to the door, a white recliner next to a book case and the bed had white sheets with gold wind gusts on it and the curtains covering the doors to the balcony were white with gold squiggles to act as wind gusts.

I sat on the comfy white recliner. So what are you going to name your Dragon?" I asked.
"Um. Well, I was thinking Whisper Wind."
"That's gorgeous." Alexis smiled.
"What about you?" She asked.
"Steam Whistle." I said.
"Ooh, that's really cool." I smiled.
"When do you think they'll hatch?"
"Actually, I might have a book on that." Alexis walked over to her book shelf and pulled out a huge red book. She set it on her bed as I walked over. On the cover written in golden letters was:

The Complete Guide to Dragon Care

She opened the book to the index page. "Um, um, um." Alexis hummed as she slid her finger down the page. "Ah! Here it is, Egg Care page 27." She flipped the pages and the dust made me sneeze. "Bless you." Alexis said without stopping her flipping.
"Thanks." I said, sniffling.
"This is it, When Will My Egg Hatch? Page 42." I looked over the page as Alexis read it out loud.

Different eggs will hatch at different times. The hatching time mostly depends on how big the dragon is going to get. If it's a tiny Dragon than it can hatch just 2-3 weeks after birth. If it's a mid-sized Dragon than it may hatch 1 month-6 weeks after birth. If it's a large Dragon that it may hatch 7 weeks-2 months after birth. If it's a huge Dragon than it may hatch 9 weeks-3 months after birth. If it's a monstrous Dragon than it may hatch 4-5 months after birth. If it's a Lengendious Dragon than it may hatch 8 months- a year after birth.

"That isn't that bad." I said once Alexis was finished reading.
"It is if you have to wait 3 months." I shrugged,
"Maybe we'll get lucky."

I left Alexis's dorm soon after that and headed for my building. Once I was inside my dorm room I grabbed the Purple Dragon egg out of my satchel where I had placed it. Miss Fizzlewits had said that we needed to keep the eggs fire hot. How do I do that? I wondered to myself. I plopped on the bed and stared towards the fireplace. Wait. I thought. Fireplace. Fire and place. FIRE! It was perfect. I placed the egg right in front of the metal gating that kept the logs from rolling out and hopped for the best.

Later when it was getting dark and I had to put out the fire I grabbed some hot ashes with the fire tongs and surrounded the egg with them. Then I decided it would be even better if I put the egg directly in the fireplace so it could soak up the heat from all the ashes. I carefully set the egg down then went to get ready for bed.

The next morning when I got up I saw the Dragon egg in the fireplace and wondered what I was going to do with it. Miss Fizzlewits wants us to take it to school, but I couldn't set my satchel on fire! I decided to start a quick fire as I got ready for school. I then grabbed the extra satchel that was stored in the closet and put the ashes of the fire in the bag along with the Dragon egg. I grabbed both the satchel with the Dragon egg and the one with my school supplies as I walked out the door. I already knew that this was going to be a great day.