Confronting Thorin.

The next morning, I gathered my courage and went to face Thorin. I stood sure and strong outside his bedroom door, but inside, I was shaking.

I had been through so much--literally hell and back. All the bad choices I had made, everything that had gone down between Thorin and I, it was all up in the air now. This was the deciding factor. This decided all of our fates.

Thorin opened the door. He came out and looked at me. "Bilbo..."

"I love you, Thorin," I told him slowly. "Even after everything that went on between us, I love you. And Im not forcing you to feel the same way, I just wanted you to know that."

"Bilbo--"

"Wait, Im not done yet," Bilbo said, tears glazing his eyes. "I wanted to marry you. I wanted to go back to your hometown with you and become your king, spouse, whatever. But I can't do this, Thorin. All the pain you caused me, it won't work. I will always love you with all my heart, but please don't come after me. Move on. Find a woman, have an heir, restore your line of royal blood. I can never give you that. You knew that when we first got together. There was never hope. And no potion or magical spell can change the fact that I cannot have children."

Thorin just stared, trying hard to find words to say. But his mind went blank. He couldn't think of what to say that would comfort Bilbo, convince him to stay. But nothing came.

"I'm leaving," Bilbo continued, "back to Bag End, where I belong. Back to my books, and my pipeweed, and my seven breakfasts. That's not a life you can live, and not one you would want to. So goodbye, Thorin, my love, my king. I will see you in another life, if not this one."

Thorin could only watch as Bilbo walked away.