Memory

I didn't see much of the zeppelin once we returned, not that I wanted to. As soon as we arrived, Schrodinger led me to 'our' room. I let Mina take control, barely listening as she made conversation with the warrant officer.

Just as we reached the door to our room, the now-familiar ringing in my ears was beginning to return. I barely heard Mina thank Schrodinger before closing the door in his face and rushing to a nearby wastebasket just in time to vomit into it. Only a few minutes must have passed before the vomiting stopped, though it seemed like an eternity thanks to the excruciating pain in my brain. Part of me was thankful for the choking gags so no one could hear me scream.

I stayed kneeling over the wastebasket until the pain finally ebbed. Once I was sure I wouldn't collapse I stood and walked to the bathroom. A toothbrush and toothpaste had been supplied for me. Ripping open the packaging, I brushed my teeth and splashed my face with water.

When I looked into the mirror, my expression was one of irritation. "You really need to get that under control," Mina said as I grabbed a towel to wipe my face.

"Not like I can control it," I replied with an apathetic shrug. I made my way to the bed and laid down on my side.

Mina groaned. "Please tell me you're not gonna mope around forever," she said. "I refuse to spend eternity with a depressed little girl."

"Well, you don't have to worry," I answered, unfazed. "Once I figure out a way to get you out of my head, eternity won't be much of a problem for you."

"Good luck with that," retorted Mina. Her tone was unconcerned, but she seemed distracted. I remained silent, not bothering to deliver a childish reply. After a long, uncomfortable silence, Mina finally spoke, "So what did you see this time?"

I raised an eyebrow, but kept my eyes on the blank wall in front of me. "You mean you didn't see it too?"

Mina remained silent for a long time and when she finally spoke, it was with grudging admittance. "We may share a mind now, but your memories from your past life are your own. They come from a place I have no access to."

"Good to know," I replied simply. "I didn't see anything important." This was a lie; the truth was that the memory was probably one of the most important I would ever have. It was the memory of my death.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Stop! Thief!" I ran into the alleyway and pressed myself against the wall as the coppers ran past. I sighed in relief and tried to catch my breath against the cobbled stone. Looking down at the stolen contraband in my hand, I grinned; the loaf of bread wasn't much but it would keep me fed for at least another week.

"My, my," a woman's voice said behind me. I jumped and turned around quickly, but no one was there. "A poor little street rat has fallen into my grasp. How lucky for me."

"Who's there?" I called out tentatively as I tried to peer down the alley. The night had created shadows within the shadows, and my already weak eyes could barely see anything. "I'm warning you to stay away from me."

The woman laughed once more and stepped out of the shadows. She was dressed in fine clothing, making me feel ashamed at my own rags. The silvery light of the full moon illuminated her porcelain skin, contrasting sharply with her black hair, which was done up and cascaded down her back in ringlets. My own mousy brown hair looked like a rat's nest, filthy and greasy and knotted. Her ice blue eyes stared straight into my muddy brown ones, piercing me with her cold gaze.

I stepped back as she spoke. "Poor little street rat," she said. "All alone, with no one in this world to care whether you live or die." She grinned and my eyes widened to see a pair of sharp fangs protruding from her mouth. "Let me put you out of your misery!"