6. The Question

After a long, restless night, I ended up falling asleep for a few hours. But that came to an end real soon. My alarm clock came on earlier than usual because today we have to work a shift at the mystery shack. With my face buried in my pillow, I reached my arm out trying to turn off the snooze button. I kept on missing it, and my hand ended up hitting someone's hard and hairy head.

I turned my face over to see what it was and it was Mabel. "Hello!" She shouted as she moved her face closer to mine. "Uh, hi? What are you doing?" I asked her. "Trying to wake you up. Grunkle Stan needs us to work longer today." Mabel replied.

"Give me a few more minutes." I said as I rolled back over. "No! You must wake up now!" Mabel got up onto my bed and started to jump up and down, causing the bed to shake around. "Okay, okay, I'm up." I sat up. "Yay!" Mabel cheered as she bolted downstairs.

'She is way too energetic.' I thought as I slowly walked downstairs, making my way into the kitchen. Me and Mabel took a few minutes to make breakfast and eat it. After we finished, we cleaned ourselves up in the bathroom, then headed into the gift shop to start a miserable day of work.

Wendy nor Soos could show up today, so we took place of their shifts. I was sitting at the register, while Mabel was restocking the shelves. We sat here for at least an hour and not one costumer has showed up. It was really quiet, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to get some rest.

I crossed my arms out on the countertop and I laid my head on them, closing my eyes. I heard the gift shops bell ring, but I was so tired that I just ignored it. "Dipper?" A familiar voice called out as they tapped on the top of my head. I slowly raised up my head to meet the face of Sapphire. Her face was so close, that I couldn't help but stare down all her features.

"Dipper?" Sapphire waved her hand in front of my face. I immediately snapped out of my gaze, going back into reality. "What? Oh, s-sorry." I said, flinching. I didn't realize how long I was staring at her for awhile until now. Ugh, how embarrassing. "W-what're you doing?" I asked her, trying to keep cool. "Just visiting my favorite person." She smiled.

"I'm your favorite? Really?" I asked, joyfully. "I wouldn't lie about that." She messed up my hair playfully. I laughed and smiled at her. "Is just you and your sister working here today?" Sapphire asked. "Yeah. But it's completely pointless because no one ever shows up on Mondays." I complained.

"How about we get some fresh air then?" Sapphire asked as she walked over to the stairs that lead to the roof and removed the curtains that they were hidden behind. "Well-- uh.." I hesitated, but spending time with Sapphire was totally worth it. "Okay." I smiled as I gave in. We both climbed upstairs all the way up to the roof.

We took a seat on the edge of the roof, letting our feet hang down. "This is so beautiful." Sapphire said, staring at the horizon. "Yeah." I agreed. We both just sat there in silence, enjoying the warm sun and cool breeze. I've been meaning to ask Sapphire something, but I've never had the courage to do it. But now is the perfect opportunity while we're by ourselves.

"Hey, uh, Sapphire." I looked over at her. "Yeah, Dipper?" She looked back at me and I felt my heart sink. I took a deep breath, calming myself down. "I was planning on to go see a mystery movie at 7:00 today. And I was wondering if you would wanna, you know.. go see it with me?" I asked, closing my eyes and biting my bottom lip.

"Like a date?" Sapphire asked. "Yeah." I replied with my heart beating rapidly. "Sure." She grinned and blushed. "Okay! Great." I said as I was grinning uncontrollably. I was extremely happy that she accepted it. Just then, Mabel's head popped out of the door to the roof. "There you are, Dipper!" Mabel said, making her way on the roof.

She took a good look at both of us, sitting next to each other and smiling like crazy over here. "What's going on?" Mabel asked, giving us her creepy, smily suspicion face. "We were just enjoying the outdoors. Also, we're going to go see a movie tonight." I said, saying the last part quickly.

"Wait, like a date?!" Mabel asked, getting anxious for an answer. "Yeah." I chuckled. Mabel squealed out of happiness extremely loud. "Your first date ever Dipper! I'm so proud of you!!" Mabel hugged me. "Well you didn't have to mention that." I mumbled as I chuckled awkwardly.

"Haha, sorry. I'm so happy." Mabel chirped. She then looked over at Sapphire. "Sapphire!" She yelled her name, giving her a hug from behind. Sapphire was obviously startled by Mabel's enthusiasm. And I swear, I thought I seen Sapphire's eyes glow when she did. But I blinked and her eyes were back to normal. "You need to come visit me before you guys go on your little date! We'll pick you out an outfit and everything!" Mabel said, breathing heavily.

"Okay." Sapphire smiled and agreed. "Awesome!" Mabel fist pumped. "Well, we should probably get back down there before Grunkle Stan notices." I said. "Right." Mabel agreed. We all climbed downstairs and got back into our positions.

"Well, Grunkle Stan doesn't allow us to have friends here while we're working. So unfortunately you have to leave." Mabel said to Sapphire. "That's fine. I'll just leave." Sapphire gave in. "Bye, Mabel." She waved at Mabel. "Bye, Dipper." Sapphire winked at me right before she left. My heart started to pound so hard against my rib age that it felt like it was going to burst out.

"They grow up so fast." Mabel fake sniffled. "We're the same age, doofus." I pushed her shoulder playfully and we both let out a laugh. 'Today is going to be great.' I thought.