26. Liar Liar

Sterling's POV

It's been awhile since Sapphire left her own party. I thought it would be best to leave her alone for awhile, she seemed to be quite lost in her own sea of thoughts after I told her that the nitwit twins were leaving town.

I didn't expect her to get all emotional over it, honestly. If anything, I thought she would be glad to be rid of them.

"She is such a hard person to read. It's probably those human hormones running through her blood," I thought to myself, squeezing the temples of my head.

Well, it's probably time for me to go check on her.

I left the party and headed to the tip of the castle, where her room is located. I stood face to face with her door, gently knocking on it. "Sapphire, it's me, the love of your life." I said playfully as I tried to open the door, but it was locked. "Sapphire?" I called, wiggling the door knob.

Silence.

"Sapphire, if you're not going to answer then I'm coming in," I said more sternly. Still no answer. "Playing hard to get, eh?" I devilishly smiled. "Alright, I'm coming in."

A random thought that came to my mind was if she was getting dressed by some chance. I couldn't get blamed for being a pervert since she didn't answer. I got a chills down my spine, excited to see what was inside.

I walked directly through the door, simply as if I was a ghost. The excitement quickly died down once I realized that she wasn't anywhere in here. "The hell..?" I mumbled under my breath, bewildered for her absence. I investigated her room with the scanning of my eyes and I spotted something shining in the corner of my eye from across the room. I headed closer to it to realize what it was. "Oh no, no, no.."

I picked up her golden crown and neck chain from laying nearby the standing mirror. I stared down at the golden objects in my hands for a minimal amount of time before I squeezed them out of anger and dropped them.

"WHY CAN'T I EVER KEEP HER IN ONE PLACE?!" I roared, scowling my eyebrows and clenching my fist. Letting go of my temper, I sent electric bolts flying everywhere occupied by a loud enraged yell. I burnt and broke her luxurious furnishing, not giving a care in the world. I was breathing heavily, as if a dragon exhaling fire.

"SHE'S NOT GETTING AWAY AGAIN, EVEN IF THAT MEANS I HAVE TO THREATEN HER."

Sapphire's POV

I walked down the clear pathway of Dipper's grayscale mind, hearing the sound of my own footsteps echo and bounce off the walls. Along the sides of the pathway were steps to certain regions of his mind, such like memories, thoughts, fears, etc. I entered the memory door, following the alphabetic order of each room. I hurriedly flew approximately a mile down the pathway until I finally reached the 'S' section, then I slowed down my pace.

I glanced at all the unfamiliar names on the doors until I spotted 'Sapphire.' I felt a little rush of excitement flow through my body after all this time of finding it. I was relieved that the search was over and I exhaled, wiping the imaginary sweat off my forehead. I smiled as I was about to twist the knob, then suddenly pausing once I saw Sterling's name on the door next to mine.

I stared down the door, letting it capture my attention. I remembered that one time Dipper said that he made a deal with him in order to restore my memories. To this very day, I still have no idea what their deal was, for they never told me. I let my curiosity win the best of me and I entered the door that had 'Sterling' printed out on it instead.

The room wasn't too big compared to the previous, only containing a few doors on the sides. I started with the first door, watching their first time encountering and how their little deal was made.

I observantly watched the memory and found out that Dipper's end of the bargain was to do anything that Sterling told him to when the timing was right. Knowing that this is Sterling we're talking about, who knows what in the hell he wants? I had to dig deeper than intended to get to the bottom of this.

I looked through the other few doors, and it was specifically the last door that held the mysterious truth between them─ Dipper's end of the bargain.

I listened carefully and paid attention to everything that was said.

~~~

"What do you want from me?" He said, annoyed. "I want you to finally fulfill your end of the bargain." Sterling told him. Dipper's annoyed face changed into a serious one.

"Um, okay. W-what do you want?"

"I want you to break up with Sapphire and make it convincing."

~~~

I stood there with a dropped jaw and widened eyes, as if I was a deer in headlights. I was frozen in movement─ hardly believing what I just heard.

The only part of me that was making any sudden movement was my fluttering heart that felt like it was about to burst out of my chest.

It didn't take me long to accept this as fact and it helped me come to realization that I've been lied to this whole time.

From Dipper crushing on another girl to being straight out a playboy, it was nothing but mere lies from Sterling. He caused me hate Dipper for no reason. That lying monster!

~~~

"But─"

"No buts. Break up with Sapphire or else I'll take away her memory for good, and still somehow manage to get her to be mine. So take this in deep consideration. It's rather she has her memory and knows who you are, but you can't date her, or she has no memory of you whatsoever, and she'll love me instead." Sterling said, brusquely.

"I'll give you until tomorrow evening to make up your mind. Goodbye for now, Pines." Sterling told him cold-heartedly as he disappeared into a white flash, leaving Dipper frightened and worried.

~~~

I finished watching the rest of the memory and dropped on my knees lifelessly, hot tears forming in my eyes. I rested my hands over my heart, squeezing my eyes shut as the emotional aching sensation shot right through me.

I couldn't believe I actually trusted what Sterling said about Dipper! I feel like a huge fool right now, being deceived by that devil for the sake of his own benefits. I was blinded by his flattery.

I looked up and stared at Dipper in the paused memory, frozen in bed. I stood up and rested my hand on the surface of the memory, causing it to ripple like a river. I walked through it and approached the statue-like Dipper.

I sat down on the edge of his bed, examining all of his engaging features, then gazing into his chocolate eyes that screamed full of fear.

I gently stroked his hand, making my way up his arm, towards his face. I rested my hand on his right cheek, which was dead cold.

"It wasn't your fault.." I cooed, staring at his paused frightened expression. The tears I held back for so long finally broke and silently streamed down my face. "You did it for me.. You did it so I didn't have to live the rest of my life as an amnesiac."

"I'll fix this mess that this demon started and we'll be together again." I sadly smiled, compassionately hugging Dipper's cold and stiff body that showed no affection in return whatsoever. Regardless, I felt comforted to be with him, even if this wasn't his present self.

"I promise."