Part 26

The next week was spent preparing for the invasion, wolves had started to return to their homes as the snow and ice had begun to melt away. Daily patrols were sent around the border and scouts had been doing rounds of the forest 3 times a day. Indi was nearing 6 months old and was in her uncontrollable stage of shifting, cubs go through a 6 month period before their 1st birthday where they cannot control their shift, it could be triggered by any emotion and the cub can't get themselves back to whatever state they want to be in, she had to be watched constantly. Elijah's parents were being a huge help and since standing down as betas they had been vital in looking after Indi. Elijah's little sister Isabelle had also been enjoying the addition of a cub.

Bailey sat in the living room of the pack house staring at the lit fire place, the past week had been so stressful for her, raising a cub with hardly any experience of wolves was hard enough without the constant threat of take over. After everything that had happened with her father and being kidnapped as a cub she was more on edge than ever. Anna had been telling Bailey more about the day she was taken.

"It was a group of rouges who took you that day. Your father was aware that they were in the area but he never dared to think they would cross onto our territory, people called them the Jackals. They're big and have unusual beige coats. After you were taken your father left in search of them and you. Your mother stayed at home to lead the pack, but just a month into her leadership she caught sepsis and became gravely ill."

Anna began to tear up at the thought of Baileys mother. "Were you friends? With my mom?" Bailey asked, looking into Anna's hazel eyes. She smiled "Yes, we grew up together, I was there the day she met your father, one of the strongest bonds I've ever seen." Her eyes were heavy and sad, Bailey wrapped her arms around her mother in law, thankful for the family she had found in Elijah.