Chapter 14

The day of the cookout was very busy. I mostly spent it alone. Maurico was busy handling business with Tony and Lorenzo while Theresa and Bella were busy instructing the Caters in the huge backyard. Maria looked over the kids in the bonus room where I currently sat watching cartoons. By the time guest started arriving the kids were allowed to go play with their cousins and Maria was free to look after just one child. When she left out the room I crept over to the window and looked out in the backyard. The place was crowded. There was no way all these people could be family.

“Mother over did it as usual.” Turning around I looked at a smiling Maurico who was wearing dark jeans accompanied by a pink fitted Polo shirt that hugged his muscular arms nicely might I add.

“Never thought I’d see you in pink,” I tell him walking away from the window.

“You like?” he ask pulling me into a hug.

“No, blues better,” I teased him a little.

Looking at my hair then the rest of me he smiled big while his eyes filled with lust. “You’re right. Shall we,” he then asks releasing me before holding out his hand to me.

“We shall.”

Walking into the backyard I felt like I was in a movie as the whole yard grew quiet and all eyes were on us. Maurico stood full of power and confidence as usual. I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. As we started to walk down the steps people began to talk again but this time about the girl with blue hair.

“Maurico!” and to make matter worse Paulina was here. Great.

“Hello Paulina,” Maurico greeted Paulina with a hug and kiss.

“Lakita,” Paulina greeted not bothering to even look at me. Like I care. “Why didn’t you tell me you were having a baby?”

“You know I like to keep my secrets to myself,” he replied with a laugh.

Laughing Paulina hit Maurico on the chest her hand lingering longer then needed. “I thought I was your little secret.”

Having enough, I excused myself making my way through the crowd of people. I didn’t care that Maurico didn’t follow after me. As long as it kept that woman away I didn’t what they did. Passing by a few people introduce themselves to me making small conversation. Thankfully nobody drilled me with too many questions.

“Lakita, may I have a word?” Mr. Marino asked popping up next to me out of nowhere. Following him away from the crowd we sat down at an empty table beside each other. “My son sure has a way of picking them.”

“Excuse me,” I say completely confused and a little taken off guard.

“You’re a stripper…you’ll learn that there is nothing I don’t know or cannot find out,” Mr. Marino said with a small smirk resembling Maurico before his face turn serious. “The Marino family has come a long way. I cannot and will not allow anything to disgrace the family name do you understand.”

“Yes”

“Good. Since you do not love my son we don’t have a problem other than the baby.”

This struck a nerve. Standing up I looked Mr. Marino I the eyes making sure I had his attention. “My child isn’t a problem. I’m not trying to be a part of your corrupted family. So don’t worry about me, this child or anything that concerns us. We don’t need anybody. Especially not some heartless old man,” I spat before stomping away. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the bastards face. He looked shocked with a twist of anger. Feeling good about myself I spotted Maurico who was still with Paulina. Surprise. NOT. Grabbing a Champaign glass from a passing waiter I walked up to Maurico and threw the contents into his face.

“What the fuck Lakita!” he shouted getting everybody’s attention.

Fuck that. “How dare you?! How dare you bring me here when you knew exactly how your family would feel about me? About a stripper?” Facing the crowd I glared at them all. “That’s right I use to be a stripper! That is how Maurico and I met.” A few gasps erupted throughout the crowd of people followed by hushed whispers. “Secrets out,” I say walking away. Oh wait that Paulina right? Do us all a favor and give that bitch a good fuck so she can stop obsessing over you.” I stop to say before stomping up the steps back into the house. I didn’t stop there. Once I found the front door I found Maurico’s driver and told him to drive me to the airport.